Will you pay another 23p for farmers milk?

You got this one wrong. You don't have to openly admit it or say sorry or anything, but you really should stop advocating for something that you must by now realise would be completely wrong.

You're at the bottom of a hole and you need to stop digging.

Advocating millionaires? Thats all i could decypher from your ramblings...

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 18:35 ----------

Then why on earth are you questioning the basic rules of supply and demand?

I'm not. Confused...

---------- Post added 12-08-2015 at 18:36 ----------

This?

It's inevitable. It's science. It's happened millions of times before and will this time. That's just the way trade works. It's not possible to change it without rewriting the laws of nature.

That's a bit harsh. My parents owned a petrol station worth about a million when I was a kid, yet we were nearly bankrupt a lot of the time. Chance were if we tried to sell we'd be bankrupt before it was sold, and then we'd have some cash but no where to live, so some of the money would go immediately to buy a new house. They had v small pensions at this point as all their money had gone into the business. It's very small minded to just say, they can sell up, or stop selling the milk.

No its not harsh or small minded, just a fact of reality. As its already been pointed out, people in business are happy to take the profit in the good time but always moan when the bad times come. That shows either a lack of forward planning and bad management or maybe its just bad luck because of the circumstances at the time.

Businesses are volatile and just like shares the value can go down as well as up.

The actual production costs of the milk itself is probably pretty low, but they have farm workers to pay, possibly a mortgage or loan, the equipment to maintain etc. If they refused to sell any milk it would hurt them even more than it is now.

All those costs should be factored in with any business plan, as you should well know.

If someone offered an illegal immigrant a job for £1 a hour they'd probably take it because it's more than £0 an hour. Doesn't make it right though.

Thats a stupid argument as its illegal to give any illegal immigrant a job.

It's inevitable. It's science. It's happened millions of times before and will this time. That's just the way trade works. It's not possible to change it without rewriting the laws of nature.

Science and law, most of this hype is down to marketing. As they should, why should this country have such strict farming standards, and then allow milk into the UK at a much lower price.

Supply and demand does not work correctly in a rigged market, someone needs to rig the market in the UKs favour.

Science and law, most of this hype is down to marketing. As they should, why should this country have such strict farming standards, and then allow milk into the UK at a much lower price.

Supply and demand does not work correctly in a rigged market, someone needs to rig the market in the UKs favour.

I didnt make that quote. Ask unbeliever what it was about.

The only way you can get that is if we leave the EU, then we can again spend millions of taxpayers money on protecting these poor farmers.

Find a dairy farm for sale for less than £1million.

I think you're looking at that a bit simplistically. The farm might be worth a million, the mortgage might be worth £950,000.

Find a dairy farm for sale for less than £1million.

Find a dairy farm without a bank loan first.

Find a dairy farm without a bank loan first.

I think you're looking at that a bit simplistically. The farm might be worth a million, the mortgage might be worth £950,000.

These are valid points.

Although I find it unlikely one can get a 95% mortgage these days.

A recently bought dairy farm might have only a few hundred thousand pounds of equity in it even if it were well run.

But you're still hardly dealing with desperately poor folk. Being able to raise the deposit for such a venture is inconsistent with poverty.

Would you consider me a case for special treatment or charity if I'd just put down a £150k deposit on a million pound house?

It's entirely possible that after some years a dairy farm might actually have no equity in it. Owing money to suppliers, etc... Most businesses that go under, do so in debt, not with money to spare tied up in assets.

It's entirely possible that after some years a dairy farm might actually have no equity in it. Owing money to suppliers, etc... Most businesses that go under, do so in debt, not with money to spare tied up in assets.

That's unfortunate, but if you choose to run a business, that's the chance you take. This is why we have bankruptcy. Those people took a gamble, which if it had paid off would have left them very wealthy, but it didn't. Now they have to take the hit, rent a place and get a job like everybody else.

No its not harsh or small minded, just a fact of reality. As its already been pointed out, people in business are happy to take the profit in the good time but always moan when the bad times come. That shows either a lack of forward planning and bad management or maybe its just bad luck because of the circumstances at the time.

Businesses are volatile and just like shares the value can go down as well as up.

All those costs should be factored in with any business plan, as you should well know.

Thats a stupid argument as its illegal to give any illegal immigrant a job.

I'm not saying it's right either way. I get supply and demand, but I also get predatory pricing. I was just pointing out that's it's really not so easy to just up sticks and move without consequences. Of course businesses make profit when the times are good, why on earth would anyone do it otherwise? And I'd hope they understood the risks. My parents knew the risks and were prepared for most of them. Ultimately, we had a good life with lots of land and life experience (mainly teaching me I NEVER want my own business!) and even at the worst moments they would probably have said they still made the right choice.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 09:43 ----------

That's unfortunate, but if you choose to run a business, that's the chance you take. This is why we have bankruptcy. Those people took a gamble, which if it had paid off would have left them very wealthy, but it didn't. Now they have to take the hit, rent a place and get a job like everybody else.

And on this I agree with you. However, as I've said in other threads I do wish there was more support for small business who have staff through grants or loans to support them through rough patches. If a farm goes bust it's not just the farmer that loses his income, however doing these 'grants/loans/tax support' in a manner that doesn't encourage a lack of fiscal responsibility if going to be difficult to do...possibly impossible.

And on this I agree with you. However, as I've said in other threads I do wish there was more support for small business who have staff through grants or loans to support them through rough patches. If a farm goes bust it's not just the farmer that loses his income, however doing these 'grants/loans/tax support' in a manner that doesn't encourage a lack of fiscal responsibility if going to be difficult to do...possibly impossible.

Your sympathy for such people is laudable, but I think you're also right that it's probably impractical.