Will you pay another 23p for farmers milk?

These are valid points.

Although I find it unlikely one can get a 95% mortgage these days.

A recently bought dairy farm might have only a few hundred thousand pounds of equity in it even if it were well run.

But you're still hardly dealing with desperately poor folk. Being able to raise the deposit for such a venture is inconsistent with poverty.

Would you consider me a case for special treatment or charity if I'd just put down a £150k deposit on a million pound house?

You are also assuming that farmers own what they farm which is definitely not the case for many, maybe most of them.

For example, those pretty farms out on the posh west side of Sheffield are owned by the council. The farmers rent the land and buildings and then have to buy their own equipment before they get a penny back. They might have nothing to sell except second hand plant and animals that nobody wants.

These "millionaire farmers" are about as common as hens teeth.

You are also assuming that farmers own what they farm which is definitely not the case for many, maybe most of them.

For example, those pretty farms out on the posh west side of Sheffield are owned by the council. The farmers rent the land and buildings and then have to buy their own equipment before they get a penny back. They might have nothing to sell except second hand plant and animals that nobody wants.

These "millionaire farmers" are about as common as hens teeth.

I can't find a figure specifically for dairy farms, but the vast majority of farms in the UK are owner-occupied.

Shame on all of you who buy your milk from supermarkets anyway!!

Support your local farmers and buy fresh straight from them.

Because we all have time (and the inclination) to drive around buying individual items of shopping. :roll:

Make time! support local farms and independent businesses.

And by driving around add tonnes of additional CO2 and other pollutants to our air...

Nothing is black and white. I agree that supermarkets are pretty poor to their suppliers and I do, where sensible, try to source product from independent shops, but to have the attitude that I must buy everything from the producer directly is a little far fetched...

I dont buy milk and eggs from supermarkets period.

Occasionally meat. I go organic and farm shop usually

I wouldnt buy supermarket chicken. Its full of bacteria and hormone pumped.

Farms and farm shops dont sell everything though.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 14:32 ----------

And by driving around add tonnes of additional CO2 and other pollutants to our air...

Its also about what youre putting in to your body and how far you want to go ethically isnt it?

If you dont mind farmers being screwed over and bacteria ridden highly processed meats, because youre skint and need to pay less for more, thats your choice.

Nothing is black and white. I agree that supermarkets are pretty poor to their suppliers and I do, where sensible, try to source product from independent shops, but to have the attitude that I must buy everything from the producer directly is a little far fetched...

Exactly. My local farmer is about 300 yards down the lane - getting eggs and milk from him isn't exactly tricky but if everyone from Leeds drove there it's be rather congested to say the least...

If you can walk to the farmer, then I'd say everyone should but I bet that's only going to be 1% of the population or less, there are not many city centre farms about....