Will you pay another 23p for farmers milk?

Exactly. My local farmer is about 300 yards down the lane - getting eggs and milk from him isn't exactly tricky but if everyone from Leeds drove there it's be rather congested to say the least...

If you can walk to the farmer, then I'd say everyone should but I bet that's only going to be 1% of the population or less, there are not many city centre farms about....

In sheffield there are a few up near bradway. Out towards s6 and beyond. Totley. Inner city farm heeley.

Inner city working farms few and far between.

Make time! support local farms and independent businesses.

No.

Nobody 'makes time' to support my business. It works because I sell a service that companies are willing to pay for, the minute it's not convenient they dispense with my services.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 14:50 ----------

If you dont mind farmers being screwed over and bacteria ridden highly processed meats, because youre skint and need to pay less for more, thats your choice.

Bacteria ridden. Give over.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/28/supermarket-chickens-contaminated-campylobacter

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 14:55 ----------

No.

Nobody 'makes time' to support my business. It works because I sell a service that companies are willing to pay for, the minute it's not convenient they dispense with it

Maybe farms need better marketing, reach a wider demographic. Cost is the big issue.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 14:56 ----------

I often see a poorly written board outside a farm.

It doesnt do justice to the quality of the produce.

So that's specifically whole chickens, and it's supermarkets AND butchers (and doesn't say that farm shops are any different, perhaps they simply weren't included in the testing).

And the problem was already being addressed when the article was written

The FSA said it had not expected to see the results of these improvements in its first annual survey, since they were only implemented towards the end of the testing period, but it had seen results from samples collected later that showed progress. It singled out Marks & Spencer, Morrisons, the Co-op and Waitrose for having these improvements already in place in its supply chain.

And how can you call a whole chicken "highly processed"? It's the least processed you can get, an entire carcass with just the guts taken out. Sausage is highly processed, potted meat is highly processed, whole chickens are barely processed at all.

Edited by Cyclone

Comfort and brand recognition too. People are comfortable with SM's. But i bet most cant name their nearest farm

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 15:03 ----------

So that's specifically whole chickens, and it's supermarkets AND butchers (and doesn't say that farm shops are any different, perhaps they simply weren't included in the testing).

And the problem was already being addressed when the article was written

The reason for spread is highly concentrated farming and packing methods. Used by retailers.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 15:07 ----------

And how can you call a whole chicken "highly processed"? It's the least processed you can get, an entire carcass with just the guts taken out. Sausage is highly processed, potted meat is highly processed, whole chickens are barely processed at all.

Ever cooked tesco chicken with all the water draining out?

Ever wondered why its so spongy in texture? Why the breasts are so huge and plump?

Its full of water and animal hormones / steroids. And bacteria caused by intensive farming and concentrated farming and packing methods.

Edited by TJC1
@@@@

And by driving around add tonnes of additional CO2 and other pollutants to our air...

Nothing is black and white. I agree that supermarkets are pretty poor to their suppliers and I do, where sensible, try to source product from independent shops, but to have the attitude that I must buy everything from the producer directly is a little far fetched...

I manage to get my meat from the butchers, fish from the mongers, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg shop without using any petrol at all!!!

Milk is delivered from local diary farmer.

Farm shop at the weekend, which yes I take the car but it's only once a week and the drive takes 10mins from my house.

It can be done.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 16:23 ----------

No.

Nobody 'makes time' to support my business. It works because I sell a service that companies are willing to pay for, the minute it's not convenient they dispense with my services.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 14:50 ----------

What's your business then? does it support the local community? do you employ local people? would it be a tragedy for the local community if you shut up shop tomorrow?

If so, then wouldn't you want the local community to support you?

I manage to get my meat from the butchers, fish from the mongers, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg shop without using any petrol at all!!!

Hang on, you said that we should "Support your local farmers and buy fresh straight from them. "

Getting it from a middleman isn't buying straight from the farm is it...

Milk is delivered from local diary farmer.

Farm shop at the weekend, which yes I take the car but it's only once a week and the drive takes 10mins from my house.

It can be done.

So you do get it from the farm - but hang on you drive there...

My local farm shop charges about twice what the supermarkets do. The farmer freely admits he could sell it for less than supermarket prices, but he doesn't have a spare few acres to concrete over to cope with the parking.... so he charges a high price and fleeces the Range Rover set.

It can't be done for the low waged, as they cannot afford it, and cannot get there easily.

What's your business then? does it support the local community? do you employ local people? would it be a tragedy for the local community if you shut up shop tomorrow?

If so, then wouldn't you want the local community to support you?

For me, No, yes, no. The local community can't support me and I don't need them to.

Hang on, you said that we should "Support your local farmers and buy fresh straight from them. "

Getting it from a middleman isn't buying straight from the farm is it...

So you do get it from the farm - but hang on you drive there...

My local farm shop charges about twice what the supermarkets do. The farmer freely admits he could sell it for less than supermarket prices, but he doesn't have a spare few acres to concrete over to cope with the parking.... so he charges a high price and fleeces the Range Rover set.

It can't be done for the low waged, as they cannot afford it, and cannot get there easily.

For me, No, yes, no. The local community can't support me and I don't need them to.

Local communities should support their local businesses and visa versa not some multi-million pound corporation that doesn't give a stuff about who shops in their stores!

If your business is not a service to the local community i.e. nationwide construction / insurance / accountants then I'm not talking about you!

There is no sense of community anymore - I'd rather put my hard earned, over taxed money into the pockets of local businesses who know me by name and appreciate my custom!

No it the suppliers and packagers that cause the problem, not the retailers. Can you tell me which local farms that are near sell chicken.

I didnt say it was the retailers did I?

quote:

The reason for spread is highly concentrated farming and packing methods. Used by retailers.

---------- Post added 13-08-2015 at 16:53 ----------

My local farm shop charges about twice what the supermarkets do.

Then you're going to the wrong farm. I've seen several farms in and around sheffield that sell potatotes, meat and eggs significantly cheaper than the supermarkets.