Advice on selling a car

I have a 12-year old VW Golf I want to sell, mileage only 45,000.

I've got a price from webuyanycar and similar sites and wonder how much better a price I might get elsewhere or privately? I want to get rid of the car fairly quickly and don't want to go to too much trouble to do so.

Whether I sell privately or to a dealer, how much detail do I have to give about the few things that are wrong with the car? The air con doesn't work and there is occasional jerkiness in the running (clutch on its way out??), plus passenger door intermittently won't open. But it's basically sound and, as I saw, low mileage.

Any advice welcome!

Firstly. All car dealers are liars. Sell their own grandmother liars.

So. Don't believe a word they say.

Try to sell privately. Try to deal with real people if you can.

They are trying to make a living which is a reasonable thing to do. But they would sell their own grandmother. Cheat lie and ...... To get a sale or buy cheaply.

Yep as above the best money is privately or eBay auction.

Webuyanycar can be a right faf and they'll try and knock you down for every little problem.

Also you have to pay them admin fees and inspection fees to sell your car to them as well, which is pretty cheeky.

I have a 12-year old VW Golf I want to sell, mileage only 45,000.

Its the MOT that will decide how much it makes. I got an 03 Scenic for £215 10 months ago, without any MOT.

It did pass quite easily.

I'd go onto the Golf forums, there's a good chance that an old model, cared for with low mileage will be in demand from members. Although check before you sign up and post as some might object to you joining just to sell.

I'd get it fixed, it will be easier to sell. Unless you sell to someone who doesn't know anything about cars.

You don't have to tell them anyone about any faults because you are a private seller so if anyone asks you can say you have no idea about cars.

Firstly. All car dealers are liars. Sell their own grandmother liars.

So. Don't believe a word they say.

Try to sell privately. Try to deal with real people if you can.

They are trying to make a living which is a reasonable thing to do. But they would sell their own grandmother. Cheat lie and ...... To get a sale or buy cheaply.

Agree 100%

Put a big for sale notice in the car window when its parked outside your house. I've sold a couple of cars like that. A small notice in a side window when the car's parked in town can also help.