City taxis buyout Mercury taxis in uber scare

to the product they signed up to there wouldn't be any rumours going about £10p/h minimum true yes here to stay no reason it's good way to recruit drivers time limit until uber decide they have enough work after that there's no guarantee of any work same as other firms.Uber going for NHS contract in Sheffield said who? uber don't do contract work never have also NHS contract is only given to a firm who have wheelchair friendly vehicels in their fleet. Uber has pro's and con's it won't become a major success as some people think in Sheffield it will just be another firm my bet is drivers will start leaving it once all goodies are removed and too many drivers being recruited remember uber don't have a cap on driver limit the more the better it's happy times for now driver getting paid public getting free rides once all settles down then it's different matter surge prices starting to come into play now aswell. Just hope people realise it's important to still support your local firm before you realise what the problem becomes.

With regards to the NHS contract, my dad (Uber taxi driver) has mentioned this to me in passing. He said that Uber have offered so many months of free work worth a tidy sum to the NHS in Sheffield as a trial to get them on board with future business.

Stig - you seem to know an awful lot about how Uber 'won't become a major success in Sheffield' as opposed to all other cities they've conquered. How so? Do you have some inside info you'd care to share? From my dad's experience as a driver, and mine as a customer, it's all positive. Just wondering what connection you have with City?

Edited by Grenoside123

Unfortunately your dad has listened to the rumours of some taxi drivers who never have a clue what they are saying uber launched in Sheffield on the 5th of June how they have been doing NHS work for a few months is beyond me drivers saying they are targeting nhs work without a single uber driver done a direct job from the NHS it's rumour my friend your dad will tell you uber only deal with anything over e-mail there's no speaking to anyone part of uber on the phone a little inconvenient don't you think for a company to give a contract to someone they can't even speak to on the phone if there ever was a issue the uber system works direct from customers phone to the drivers phone any issue that comes from it has to be e-mailed and replied by uber however long that takes is anyone's guess in any city that uber operate in they have not taken contracted work.

Unfortunately your dad has listened to the rumours of some taxi drivers who never have a clue what they are saying uber launched in Sheffield on the 5th of June how they have been doing NHS work for a few months is beyond me drivers saying they are targeting nhs work without a single uber driver done a direct job from the NHS it's rumour my friend your dad will tell you uber only deal with anything over e-mail there's no speaking to anyone part of uber on the phone a little inconvenient don't you think for a company to give a contract to someone they can't even speak to on the phone if there ever was a issue the uber system works direct from customers phone to the drivers phone any issue that comes from it has to be e-mailed and replied by uber however long that takes is anyone's guess in any city that uber operate in they have not taken contracted work.

Ok. Firstly, full stops and other such punctuation would serve you well! I'm out of breath just reading that!!! Secondly, it is Uber who have provided my dad with this information, not 'some taxi drivers'! I myself cannot confirm or deny it's factuality, just it's source. And thirdly, you never stated your connection to City as asked. I'm intreagued! Driver?

I would say the NHS contract rumour is rubbish.

Not many of you outside the industry will know how big it is, and how complex. It's not what they are aiming for, they would have to employ a team of staff to deal with it for a start. Having wheelchair access vehicles 24/7 is also something they couldn't cater for.

Hasn't Uber been bought out by Google and some other mega-investors? So it's not as if it's some small, upcoming entrepreneur sticking it to the corporate man. It's more like a corporate giant coming in and nabbing business from a local firm.

Feel a little sorry for all these black taxi drivers. They are already waiting and waiting in long rows for a little ride somewhere in Sheffield and then they go back and wait again.

Now it will only get worse for them.

There are places in EU that have closed the door to uber to protect the old fashioned cab system. Sheffield has a very old fashioned black cab system and two more updated companies.

I was a little surprised they got in so easy here, even in paris uber executives were imprisoned to investigate uber business practises.

In regards to the NHS contract which City now hold.

Have it on good authority from a number of Uber drivers who have been 'told' from the top that when Uber gain more drivers to the number required.. they will embark on a massive advertising campaign in Sheffield ~And~ will be entering a bid for the NHS contract which as we know, will be a lot cheaper for the NHS to accept than City can offer.

Simple brass tacks.

One charges more than the other, the NHS is stretched, Uber helps out.

Not to simple, there is the service etc etc to take into account, although city hasnt got the best reputation, i would think they would take some shifting from the NHS contracts, the devil you know and all that.

As far as I can see it Uber have a limited market - in that you have to have a smart phone to book them (I've used them already, they're ok but I don't see what the fuss is)

Problem is - you work for City for as while (as I did a few years ago) and you'll see the majority of their work during the day is taking the OAPs shopping / to the hairdressers and 'low earners' with disposable income the same...... These aren't people who'll use smart phones or have cash in the bank to pay for a taxi, it'll be the few quids worth of coins in their pockets that they use to pay.