Electronic information at tram/bus stops

Timetables online, at bus/tram stops and on phones dont account for late (or indeed early) running services.

The display at bus stops does take into account early/late services.

The countdown time is a prediction of its arrival from its last GPS report in normal traffic.

The only time they do not is if the bus is not running or sending GPS and a fixed time is shown.

The countdown time is a prediction of its arrival from its last GPS report in normal traffic.

The only time they do not is if the bus is not running or sending GPS and a fixed time is shown.

I made the mistake of relying on the digital display information at the bus stop - & also "NextBus" - for the 51 bus at Crosspool one night last summer. The display indicated that the bus was on time & it counted down - but despite this, the bus didn't arrive.

The same thing happened with the next scheduled 51 which was due 30 minutes later - countdown to arrival but then no bus. The display then indicated the next bus would arrive 30 minutes after that so I decided I had no faith in the system, wasn't prepared to wait for another 30 mins (having already been there for 40 mins) waiting for a bus that may (or may not) arrive; as it was about 11:00pm by then I had to get a taxi home to Gleadless Townend.

I'd also used "NextBus" on my 'phone for this journey - which just replicated what was on the digital display at the bus stop i.e. turned out to be of little use.

I complained to First who advised that two 51s in a row had not run due to a shortage of drivers, they also said that the times on the digital displays at the bus stops & also the "NextBus" facility just indicated when the buses were timetabled, rather than when (or indeed if...) they'd actually turn up....

Certainly think that the addition of this facility to the tram stops is a great idea - as long as it is linked to "real time" information, unlike the bus stop display relating to the 51 bus last time I used it!

I agree and that's what I was trying to point out. We already have it covered and spending hundreds of thousands on new signage while increasing fares is just a waste.

They will waste money no matter if it is signage or something else. Wasting money is in their nature and they will waste it on something no matter what happens.

So don't bother thinking your fees would be saved if they were better with their budgets, that is something only possible in your dreams.

I clearly meant the PRINTED timetable at bus stops :gag:

Seem to only be at certain stops, and only on one side. Slightly strange.

They're installing 84 screens I believe, which cover 2 everywhere except the island and single line platforms at Malin Bridge, Herdings and Meadowhall. They're just taking time to install, some platforms have screens, some have poles, some have holes and some have holes that have been dug and recovered.

They're installing 84 screens I believe, which cover 2 everywhere except the island and single line platforms at Malin Bridge, Herdings and Meadowhall. They're just taking time to install, some platforms have screens, some have poles, some have holes and some have holes that have been dug and recovered.

ahh ok, thanks for the info.

Does anybody know please when the electronic signs at the tram stops will be used to display the intended information about when the next tram's due?

These signs went up about 4 months ago but still show the "Real Time Information Coming Soon" & "System Under Test" messages.

Does anybody know please when the electronic signs at the tram stops will be used to display the intended information about when the next tram's due?

These signs went up about 4 months ago but still show the "Real Time Information Coming Soon" & "System Under Test" messages.

Some of them are working. There are at least a few on the Meadowhall route that work.

Some of them are working. There are at least a few on the Meadowhall route that work.

Ah, thanks! Still not working between Gleadless & Hillsborough though - maybe they're rolling this out in stages?

testing couldn't commence until a normal timetable resumed following the rail works. Currently live info being tested on Meadowhall line, rest should follow soon.

The signs that are being tested and working have been confusing at times showing many trams coming in the next hour but only display the next tram briefly in between. They appear to still try different systems of display.