Man spotted taking photos of children graves park

jbauto

In the early 80's, and a young man, I was one of the first in my area to have a video camera, once I took it on the beach and began to film the crowds, trying to be arty, like French films, etc.I focussed on the interaction between the families, different classes, (how could I tell) close ups of the parents talking to the children, their responses, facial movements, dialogue. Incredible to think now I could be challenged and possibly arrested, though even now in Europe there would be little issue, though I don't think I would film there now, being much older,

when I think about, I was approached by loads of people who wanted to be in the film!

Sadly such activities are in the past. It's unfortunate to think that all the amateur video or every day life we have of years gone by which is used to give an impression of the past now will not exist for the present because of how we have developed in to a fearful, distrusting and introverted species.

They're both taking images of your children, potentially stealing their soles... (presumably meaning they get wet socks).

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 15:30 ----------

What you permit of course is governed by the law. You have no right or ability to stop someone taking photos in public. Your only response would be to grab your child and run away from the evil photographer.

Although...this is where the law can be odd.

You could be asked to stop photographing a child, by the child's parents and whilst you might have a legal "right" to ignore that (hopefully polite) request and carry on, that could be deemed as harassment.

You could therefore be prosecuted under Section 5 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1986 - or more likely, asked to cease by a Police Constable under said act and arrested if that request is ignored.

The tricky thing with that law and its implementation, is that if a mob is baying unreasonably for the photographer's blood, a public order disturbance is occuring but it ciould be seen that the actions of the photographer that have contributed to that disturbance

Although...this is where the law can be odd.

You could be asked to stop photographing a child, by the child's parents and whilst you might have a legal "right" to ignore that (hopefully polite) request and carry on, that could be deemed as harassment.

You could therefore be prosecuted under Section 5 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1986 - or more likely, asked to cease by a Police Constable under said act and arrested if that request is ignored.

The tricky thing with that law and its implementation, is that if a mob is baying unreasonably for the photographer's blood, a public order disturbance is occuring but it ciould be seen that the actions of the photographer that have contributed to that disturbance

Section 5 states that for the offence, there has to be

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

Taking a photograph is not threatening, or abusive behaviour. As long as you stay calm the only disorderly behaviour is going to come from the aggrieved.

Similarly for threatening words (which is what the walker I posted about earlier on in the thread was cautioned under I think)

Section 5 states that for the offence, there has to be

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

Taking a photograph is not threatening, or abusive behaviour. As long as you stay calm the only disorderly behaviour is going to come from the aggrieved.

Similarly for threatening words (which is what the walker I posted about earlier on in the thread was cautioned under I think)

On paper, true, but from my younger protest (peaceful) days I've seen S5 completely misused

To the extent: "Excuse me, that chap over there assaulted me, I think my wrist is broken" - "Really? You must have really annoyed him. I am arresting you for actions likely to cause a breach of the peace, you do not have to say anything but....." - True story

you can not "allow" or refuse. if your in a public place all you can do is accept it.

Of course i can....pick up child and walk away.

As for the asking them to stop / delete photos.....you're confusing me with the OP.

Still, this whole thread has gone OTT anyway. My point is that i wouldn't be comfortable with an unknown individual walking up to my child in a public place, and taking a photo where they are the subject material.

Feel free to tell me how I'm paranoid (again) or remind me of the legalities (again), it isn't going to change how i feel.

What a sad world we live in. Because of the sensationalist media, Internet and generally low IQ anyone taking photographs of children is now a paedophile.

I'm a member of a couple of photography forums and this subject sadly comes up regularly. Children make great subjects because they are completely natural in their behaviour, there is nothing in the least bit sinister about photographing them fully clothed!

Luckily for me I have my own children/nephews and nieces that I can photograph without some halfwit at the local park dragging her/himself away from Facebook to shout abuse at (shock horror) someone taking photos.

I was filming a scene in Sheffield, maybe 50 yards from some parked cars. As I walked passed them after, a man rolled down his window and asked why I was videoing him. I explained my reasons, I was making
, but he didn't seem too happy.

Neat video!

---------- Post added 04-02-2015 at 13:35 ----------

neither is the bogeyman hiding around every corner.

Hang on, aren't there supposed to be boggarts behind one end of Graves Park?