Parking outside my own house

I have a couple of questions Jeffrey if you don't mind.

Would letting the air out of someone's tyres, as suggested, be considered to be criminal damage?

Is there any offence with which the person letting down the tyres could be prosecuted?

In short, yes.

Taken from the Crown prosecution charging decision guidelines:

Meaning of Damage

Damage is not defined by the Act. The courts have construed the term liberally. Damage is not limited to permanent damage, so smearing mud on the walls of a police cell may be criminal damage. What constitutes damage is a matter of fact and degree and it is for the court, using its common sense, to decide whether what occurred is damage.

The damage need not be visible or tangible if it affects the value or performance of the property.

People don't give a toss is the problem. I used to live at a place where the drive was on a corner, also a junction, with double yellow lines and a disabled access knobbly kerb. Did it stop people parking there? Did it? Did it f......

I have to agree with you.

Unfortunately neither councils or the police are prepared to enforce double yellow line, too close to a junction, blocking people in/out, etc. parking restrictions unless it is the city centre or a perhaps near a shopping centre. In which case I strongly suspect then it is not the enforcement of the rules to promote safety of motorists and pedestrians alike that motivates them but purely as a source of revenue.

As a matter of interest would the stategic placing of caltrops both in front and behind of one or all someone's tyres when they are parked where they ought not be constitute an offence in the eyes of the law?

No damage has been done by the person placing said caltrops.

The damage would be done by the driver of the vehicle driving where they did not ought to be?

Amazon sell caltrops though not the more effective hollow ones so they must have a legitimate use.

They are also easily made and less easily spotted if painted black.

Unfortunately neither councils or the police are prepared to enforce double yellow line,

Not true

If you see people parked on double yellow lines, call Parking Services on 2736255 and ask them to enforce. They have mobile patrols out and about all day every day and will come out and give whoever is parking in contravention a souvenir of their stay.

Not true

If you see people parked on double yellow lines, call Parking Services on 2736255 and ask them to enforce. They have mobile patrols out and about all day every day and will come out and give whoever is parking in contravention a souvenir of their stay.

And dont you just love to get your tuppence on everything parking related, a souvenir?? !! .. Why dont you get a hobby?

And dont you just love to get your tuppence on everything parking related, a souvenir?? !! .. Why dont you get a hobby?

I wouldn't say that anyone getting parking services to ticket an ignorant parker across someone`s drive (or, for instance, blocking the pavement maybe for people with prams or in wheelchairs)) should "get a hobby". I would say it was a socially positive thing to do, and I`d say most people would agree.

On that 'social crusader' 'public service' line - did you see complainers last night. Those people are seriously obsessed.

For me its all about convenience.

The perp parks there to save the inconvenience of driving around or even parking further away.

Therefore, cause him/her more inconvenience by accidentally blocking him in and leaving a note apologizing and a phone number where you can be contacted to allow him to get out. It goes without saying that it may be sometime before you can attend in order to help him out! ;-)

..or get the authorities on his/her case.

The above method is why wheel clamps/towing away work better than fines.

Come on Planner1, your slipping. Parking services do have powers to issue a warning to any vehicle parked in front of a dropped kerb providing the house owner reports it to 0114 2736255. Once a warning is issued the vehicles details are logged and if the same vehicle parks in front of the dropped kerb again they will then receive a PCN

Observant

On that 'social crusader' 'public service' line - did you see complainers last night. Those people are seriously obsessed.

I caught the end, it seemed pretty funny to be honest, Cyclists in London are nutters!!

Next weeks episode seemed to be people who's life work is to cause grief to Doncaster Council :hihi::hihi::hihi: