Tram Rail replacement works in Hillsborough 28/29th March to begin

How did you get to work before the tram?

I didn't, I was 9 when the supertram first started running (20 years ago as of yesterday)

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as the rail replacement project works start today with 3-4 weeks work in the Hillsborough area.

Here is how Supertram services are affected in this phase of works

Yellow route: Will operate Meadowhall-Cathedral (change at Castle Square for replacement buses to Middlewood)

Blue route: Will operate Halfway-Shalesmoor (change at Castle Square or Shalesmoor for replacement buses to Malin Bridge)

Purple route: Will operate Herdings Park-Cathedral-(Meadowhall) as normal

Tram replacement bus Y1 will run Castle Square (Angel Street) non stop to Shalesmoor, all bus stops to Hillsborough then tram stops to Middlewood.

Tram replacement bus B1 will run Castle Square (Angel Street) non stop to Shalesmoor, all bus stops to Hillsborough and on to Malin Bridge.

Tram fares/tickets apply to the replacement buses (bus only tickets not valid, tram only tickets will be accepted). Conductors will be on board most buses, driver sales available when no conductor.

Supertramlink buses SL, SL2 and SL3 will all operate as normal.

It is suggested a little extra time is allowed for your journey where replacement buses and/or connections are involved.

Some additional football special buses will operate when Sheffield Wednesday are at home if required, these will run direct to the City Centre.

All the main tram fares have been frozen in price at a time bus fares are going up to reflect the disrupted service on parts of the network, additionally the 13 week tram only Megarider has been reduced in price by around 25% (from £131 to £95), this is sold online only - see http://www.supertram.com.

The work sees street embedded track that is beginning to wear out after 20 years replaced with brand new, higher quality rail which will ensure the system can keep running safely and reliably for another 20+ years, it should also mean quieter wheel/rail interface and finally there are some modifications being made as part of the project that will allow the new tram-trains to operate on the Supertram system. These vehicles will operate on the new Sheffield Cathedral-Rotherham Parkgate route as well as providing additional capacity at busy times on existing routes, they are due to arrive in 2016.

Edited by Andy C

Congratulations to Stagecoach for a complete shambles of a replacement tram service back from the football.

Hardly any buses and no stopping at all, straight into town. That isn't a replacement service.

So how would I go from Hillsborough to the University or West Street - doesn't sound like I can :-S My monthly tram pass does not sound very good value if I can't go to and from where I need to.

OK can I get one of the buses to Shalesmoor and then swap to a blue tram? Can see me being late for work until I can work this out :-(

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

So how would I go from Hillsborough to the University or West Street - doesn't sound like I can :-S My monthly tram pass does not sound very good value if I can't go to and from where I need to

Change at Shalesmoor onto the tram.

The posters up at the stops and on the trams say there will be some disruption but they don't say when or how the replacement buses will work in the affected areas - very disappointing really :-(

Congratulations to Stagecoach for a complete shambles of a replacement tram service back from the football.

Hardly any buses and no stopping at all, straight into town. That isn't a replacement service.

Been to Hillsbro match to day no problems even faster service than usual.

Cheers stage coach just keep it up please.

Been to Hillsbro match to day no problems even faster service than usual.

Cheers stage coach just keep it up please.

I guess that it was fine if you wanted to go to town.

I didn't though.

I guess that it was fine if you wanted to go to town.

I didn't though.

Yes the football specials went straight through.

Its years since I was last on a footi special though:)

It is a shambles, the replacement service should replace to the closest stop where possible - not go directly through from Shalesmoor to Angel Street. The Y1 is defo not going up to West Street - which does mean I will not get to work for my normal time as I had thought.

I'm in the same boat as you Lucy.

Y1 goes from Middlewood to Angel St, non stop from Shalesmoor through to town then back up High St, West St, Uni back to Middlewood. If anyone need Uni, West St etc, then need to get off at Shalesmoor and catch Halfway tram which is running Halfway to Shalesmoor.