Tram Rail replacement works in Hillsborough 28/29th March to begin

Yellow route will only go up to Castle Square?

Very odd. The crossover is up at the Cathedral stop so they may as well carry on up to that!

If the track/cross over at the Cathedral is being replaced then it is possible to terminate at Castle Square using much the same routine as when Ponds Forge was the terminus.

Yellow route trams from Meadowhall would use the crossover at Park Square and run wrong line to Castle Square and return as normal.

Blue Route could run inbound normally and outbound they could return wrong line to the station crossover.

Do you work for SYPTE customer services?

Do you work for SYPTE customer services?

Sounds like he does but most of the information is available on the website linked already in this thread http://www.supertram.com/railreplacementproject.html

Reading the website it seems service in Hillsborough is affected March to April and then again July to September.

Not sure what people are complaining about here, they are ripping the track up and replacing it with new, there's lots of track and it's in difficult places so it's going to take ages. I'm suprised that people living and working on tram routes didn't know this was going on, although the dates weren't announced we knew this was happening last year.

Edited by smiggs

Why are they doing the whole stretch from Gleadless to Halfway all at once? There are at least two other switchbacks between Gleadless and Halfway, wouldn't it be better to do a small stretch at a time?

Why are they doing the whole stretch from Gleadless to Halfway all at once? There are at least two other switchbacks between Gleadless and Halfway, wouldn't it be better to do a small stretch at a time?

Im guessing most of the stretch between Gleadless and Halfway is off-road section anyway? As I understand it, its only the "embedded" track that is being replaced. Thats probably the reason: its not the entire length being replaced. Would take much longer than the timescale on the Supertram website if that was the case, took them 4 months to do 2 x 2.5km of track last year!

imo they would be better making the switch at nunnery sq for the yellow routes.. Or have the buses running from there.. That way they can go through the back of town to west st. Etc and continue running to cathedral and back.

Thing is that people who commute from nunnery sq to university etc. Are going to have to change in town, whereas if they had the buses from nunnery it would avoid town traffic a whole lot..?

The work will start in Hillsborough but it's not going to last 6 months there, is it? It will be a few weeks there and then it will move on to other areas like Manor Top and Crystal Peaks or wherever. You can't expect SYPTE to contact every business near the tram in north and south Sheffield. It's not practical. The work done round Infirmary Road last year was only on weekends so disruption will be limited.

I still don't understand why an extra few weeks notice will help you. What could you have done with that extra time that you can't do now?

I disagree with this (sorry)... the majority of business on Middlewood Road in the centre of hillsborugh have been given notification including ours, we need this notification to make alternative arrangements for our deliveries and collections.

I do believe businesses SHOULD be informed to help them make plans as to not damage their daily custom etc. But i dont believe that every joe blog needs to be informed...

Get your walking boots on people :D

Edited by Chelle-82
spelling mistake

I do hope the Yellow Route 'bus' will go up West Street and down it as well. I need to get a certain tram to get to work on time. If the alt bus isn't going to be doing that, I can't get to work on time.

I do hope the Yellow Route 'bus' will go up West Street and down it as well. I need to get a certain tram to get to work on time. If the alt bus isn't going to be doing that, I can't get to work on time.

If work is being done on West Street, how do you expect the bus to get down it? Although I assume there will be a one way system in operation.

That is the final phase of the works anyway, for the first phase you will have to get off the Yellow tram in town and await a Blue one as they are continuing to Shalesmoor (and therefore down West Street)

http://www.supertram.com/railreplacementproject.html

Edited by No User Name

Just an update for anyone who's interested

The rail works are not being done on middlewood road, it is only going to affect malin bridge / holme lane tram tracks.

This will obviously mean traffic will be diverted to use the leppings lane entrance onto middlewood road so expect some delays.

I get on and off the tram at the university stop at the top of west street. Hence I don't want to mess around. That's why I hope that the bus will go up west street.