Tram Rail replacement works in Hillsborough 28/29th March to begin

It is a shambles, the replacement service should replace to the closest stop where possible - not go directly through from Shalesmoor to Angel Street. The Y1 is defo not going up to West Street - which does mean I will not get to work for my normal time as I had thought.

I'm in the same boat as you Lucy.

Pardon me from quoting the obvious but Alison there's nowhere for the buses to stop between shales moor and too of west street as brook hill is a dual carriageway with no bus stops or lay bys!!!

Also can you imagine the traffic jams in rush hour around an already grid locked ring road if all the replacement buses were routed up brook hill??? They'd never get to town and back and then be late back to Middlewood to take people back. The buses are timed to meet the tram in town at its correct time....

Obviously some people will be inconvenience but you know what... It's been advertised for weeks on trams, websites and tram stops so you've had plenty of time to work it out and like me and other people you'll have to leave earlier and for a few weeks put some thought into your journey. Major engineering to ensure the tram is safe and for decades can't be done in the blink of an eye!!!!

And to the poster moaning bout work being done on a match day- the city doesn't revolve around swfc and a project of this length was always gonna encounter a football match

They started work at some ungodly hour last night, so I'm not too impressed. Holme Lane is closed coming from the Bradfield Road/Langsett junction, so traffic is having to turn left from Bradfield Road and go up through Walkley to get to A57 and Holme Lane. Going to be great fun getting anywhere from the Malin Bridge end for the next month.

Pardon me from quoting the obvious but Alison there's nowhere for the buses to stop between shales moor and too of west street as brook hill is a dual carriageway with no bus stops or lay bys!!!

Also can you imagine the traffic jams in rush hour around an already grid locked ring road if all the replacement buses were routed up brook hill??? They'd never get to town and back and then be late back to Middlewood to take people back. The buses are timed to meet the tram in town at its correct time....

Obviously some people will be inconvenience but you know what... It's been advertised for weeks on trams, websites and tram stops so you've had plenty of time to work it out and like me and other people you'll have to leave earlier and for a few weeks put some thought into your journey. Major engineering to ensure the tram is safe and for decades can't be done in the blink of an eye!!!!

There is the stop at the top of West Street *as the work isn't being done on there just yet* - the bus did go up there last year during the works - and it did work just fine. I can't leave home any earlier due to care commitments. You act like I haven't been trying to get hold of times and confirmed for a couple of weeks. Even TravelLine and half of Stagecoach had no idea what they were doing (even this morning!).

I also never said it should stop on Brook Hill. The 6.22am 57 bus does not make it to Shalesmoor in time to get the blue tram. There is no SL bus at this time to connect any faster either.

And to the poster moaning bout work being done on a match day- the city doesn't revolve around swfc and a project of this length was always gonna encounter a football match

I wasn't expecting the city to revolve around SWFC, I was expecting my ticket to "University" to take me to the "University", rather than "Arundel Gate".

That isn't too much to ask. Is it?

The publicity about the replacements has been extremely poor. I asked about it on the tram last week and they knew as much as I did - that it was happening soon but didn't know what was happening with the replacement buses. I suspect the bus going to Shalesmoor will not be big enough to cater for the huge amount of people who use it in the mornings and again at peak time in the evening when the trams can hardly cope with the amount of people...( the Uni travel policy is to get as many people as possible to use public transport)

The publicity about the replacements has been extremely poor. I asked about it on the tram last week and they knew as much as I did - that it was happening soon but didn't know what was happening with the replacement buses. I suspect the bus going to Shalesmoor will not be big enough to cater for the huge amount of people who use it in the mornings and again at peak time in the evening when the trams can hardly cope with the amount of people...( the Uni travel policy is to get as many people as possible to use public transport)

It's funny you should mention that: not long ago there was a campaign at the University that gave out a free monthly tram ticket to encourage people to come in on the tram. So having done that the obvious next step is... take the trams off! Another triumph of joined-up thinking.

Is this happening just at weekends or all week too? Morley street has been horrendous today so can't think what it will be like Monday with rush hour/school run!

Is this happening just at weekends or all week too? Morley street has been horrendous today so can't think what it will be like Monday with rush hour/school run!

Not just weekends, the quicker complete the better.

Not just weekends, the quicker complete the better.

I'm confused now as that link says till 0500 monday.

Nothing to be confused about. Try reading the first line again. "In addition to the main works..."