Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

This evening we went into town to watch the Tramlines Festival.

Being a weekend I'm used to parking on single yellow lines of which there are plenty behind West Street. However this evening as I pulled up to park on Trippet Lane I noticed several cars with parking tickets. I was rather confused by this as I had always understood that single yellow lines were restriction on parking "during the working day". A restriction to keep the roads clear when traffic was heavy in the city and folk were trying to get to work.

However it seems things have now changed. With the advent of weekend parking charges it is now illegal to park on single yellow lines before around 8.30 even on Sunday night. So the only places where street parking is allowed in the city at weekends is in the designated bays, meaning that around 75% of the parking has now disappeared.

This is a real issue for many of the bars and cafes around the town because many of the customers now struggle to find a parking space. I spoke to the manager at a Trippet Lane bar who said that the loss of parking had a real impact on weekend trade.

If Sheffield Council want to regenerate the city centre this is a funny way of going about it. I know they hate motorists, but in the real world that is how most folk get around. If bars are put out of business Sheffield may as well put up a sign on Sunday saying re-opening 9 am Monday. Chesterfield sure looks good to me.

Edited by Uptowngirl

Being a weekend I'm used to parking on single yellow lines of which there are plenty behind West Street. However this evening as I pulled up to park on Trippet Lane I noticed several cars with parking tickets. I was rather confused by this as I had always understood that single yellow lines were restriction on parking "during the working day". A restriction to keep the roads clear when traffic was heavy in the city and folk were trying to get to work.

However it seems things have now changed. With the advent of weekend parking charges it is now illegal to park on single yellow lines before around 8.30 even on Sunday night. So the only places where street parking is allowed in the city at weekends is in the designated bays, meaning that around 75% of the parking has now disappeared.

This is a real issue for many of the bars and cafes around the town because many of the customers now struggle to find a parking space. I spoke to the manager at a Trippet Lane bar who said that the loss of parking had a real impact on weekend trade.

If Sheffield Council want to regenerate the city centre this is a funny way of going about it. I know they hate motorists, but in the real world that is how most folk get around. If bars are put out of business Sheffield may as well put up a sign on Sunday saying re-opening 9 am Monday. Chesterfield sure looks good to me.

You clearly don't use the bars and restaurants your are so concerned about very often in the evenings. Those restrictions have been in place for around 3 months now!

There are over 10,000 public parking spaces in the city centre, so there is no shortage of convenient places to park.

I would challenge your assessment that the single yellow lines represent 75% of the available on street parking. I don't think it's anything like that amount.

Absolute tripe.

As others have said these parking charges have been in place for months. As far as im concerned ANY parking on a single yellow line is subject to some form of restriction. Its up to you as a driver to read the signs which tell you the same. Hardly rocket science.

As for your undisclosed trippet lane bar conversation, do that many people really pile into their venue after driving down to town? The parking charge had that much of an impact?? I find it hard to believe. The city centre is packed each and every weekend. With tramlines the crowds were even more.

Personally I think they are using parking charges as an easy excuse for other failures.

Now, as you clearly think its sooo much better off you pop to Chesterfield. Enjoy their wide selection of quality bars and restaurants, their fine public squares, collection of large department stores and thriving cultural events....... oh, sorry - what was that? oops they dont have any.

Oh and just to let you know, they have parking restrictions and charges 7 days a week right up until 8.00pm too. Not sounding so impressive now does it.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Yeah -we really need to encourage people to bring their cars into town when they're going out on the lash.

There is no problem with folk driving into town for a meal at Cubana, and even if some folk go on the lash there is no problem if they have a designated driver.

But now most of the parking round there is off limits I'm not sure so many folk will fancy a 500 metre walk on a wet winters evening.

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 08:34 ----------

Absolute tripe.

As others have said these parking charges have been in place for months. As far as im concerned ANY parking on a single yellow line is subject to some form of restriction. Its up to you as a driver to read the signs which tell you the same. Hardly rocket science.

As for your undisclosed trippet lane bar conversation, do that many people really pile into their venue after driving down to town? The parking charge had that much of an impact?? I find it hard to believe. The city centre is packed each and every weekend. With tramlines the crowds were even more.

Personally I think they are using parking charges as an easy excuse for other failures.

Now, as you clearly think its sooo much better off you pop to Chesterfield. Enjoy their wide selection of quality bars and restaurants, their fine public squares, collection of large department stores and thriving cultural events....... oh, sorry - what was that? oops they dont have any.

Oh and just to let you know, they have parking restrictions and charges 7 days a week right up until 8.00pm too. Not sounding so impressive now does it.

You've totally missed the point in your rush to rant. I've no problem with the parking charge, just the removal of one's ability to park on the single lines. This puts 3/4 of the parking places around Trippet Lane off limits. In Chesterfield most of the parking is in convenient car parks very close to the centre. So you can pay your fee and park right outside some of the venues.

That is impressive.

Edited by Uptowngirl