Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

There is no problem with folk driving into town for a meal at Cubana, and even if some folk go on the lash there is no problem if they have a designated driver.

But now most of the parking round there is off limits I'm not sure so many folk will fancy a 500 metre walk on a wet winters evening.

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 08:34 ----------

You've totally missed the point in your rush to rant. I've no problem with the parking charge, just the removal of one's ability to park on the single lines. This puts 3/4 of the parking places around Trippet Lane off limits. In Chesterfield most of the parking is in convenient car parks very close to the centre. So you can pay your fee and park right outside some of the venues.

That is impressive.

Why not compare Sheffield and the city centre parking restrictions to cities of a comparable size instead of a Derbyshire market town?

You'll find that Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol, Norwich, York etc all have very similar parking restrictions in place, as well as prices for both on street and off street parking.

Why not compare Sheffield and the city centre parking restrictions to cities of a comparable size instead of a Derbyshire market town?

You'll find that Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol, Norwich, York etc all have very similar parking restrictions in place, as well as prices for both on street and off street parking.

That's pretty easy Living where we do, when we are planning a meal out we don't usually say "Which do you fancy, Sheffield, Chesterfield or Bristol".

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 09:04 ----------

You clearly don't use the bars and restaurants your are so concerned about very often in the evenings. Those restrictions have been in place for around 3 months now!

There are over 10,000 public parking spaces in the city centre, so there is no shortage of convenient places to park.

I would challenge your assessment that the single yellow lines represent 75% of the available on street parking. I don't think it's anything like that amount.

Indeed. 3 months is a fair time for the bar owners to be speaking from experience and not just reacting to the event. There isn't a lot of bay parking around Trippet Lane. We could have parked right outside our destination venue on a single yellow line but instead ended up walking 400/500 metres. That would be an issue when its raining or snowing.

So if you don't think the white lines represent 75% of on street parking, what percentage of on street parking do you think Sheffield Council have eliminated in one fell sweep?

I spoke to the manager at a Trippet Lane bar who said that the loss of parking had a real impact on weekend trade.

I think this part of the original post is certainly worthy of discussion.

If the suggestion here is that weekend trade has dropped significantly since these parking restrictions have been brought in then that has to be a concern.

Something similar was mentioned on the thread regarding parking charges now being applied in Chapeltown. Someone suggested that some of the local businesses down there had suffered a 30% loss in trade since parking charges had been brought in.

It's tough times for a lot of businesses at the moment, anything that is likely to see a further drop off in trade could well be the final nail in the coffin.

Regards

Doom

What's wrong with public transport???

Some people don't like using it!

I tend to use buses when I go down town on a Friday or Saturday and whilst for the most part it's OK, I have had a few occasions when buses just haven't turned up and I've been stood at a freezing bus stop for 30 minutes or longer.

Regards

Doom

That's pretty easy Living where we do, when we are planning a meal out we don't usually say "Which do you fancy, Sheffield, Chesterfield or Bristol".

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 09:04 ----------

Indeed. 3 months is a fair time for the bar owners to be speaking from experience and not just reacting to the event. There isn't a lot of bay parking around Trippet Lane. We could have parked right outside our destination venue on a single yellow line but instead ended up walking 400/500 metres. That would be an issue when its raining or snowing.

So if you don't think the white lines represent 75% of on street parking, what percentage of on street parking do you think Sheffield Council have eliminated in one fell sweep?

Why do you expect parking restrictions in a small market town to be the same as the 4th largest city in England?

This is a real issue for many of the bars and cafes around the town because many of the customers now struggle to find a parking space.

You picked the busiest weekend of the year to moan that people find it hard to get into the city centre. :huh:. Most people who came to Tramlines or any other event won't come by car. They'll walk or come by bus, tram or taxi and go home the same way.

So what bus route would you recommend for coming in from Middle Handley for a night at Cubana on Trippet Lane and going home around 11.30?

I've never heard of Middle Handley. How many people live there and how many people come into the city centre from there regularly? Do you think that the council should set its parking tariffs to suit to few people from the middle of nowhere when they can do it based on the hundreds of thousands who live a lot closer in?

The other answers are get a taxi, or a tram and taxi via Halfway.

The parking charge will be the equivalent of less than a half a lager in any of the bars in town. If you have a car full of people that is effectively no additional cost. Even before the parking charges there wasn't enough space to park right outside wherever you fancied going in the evening. The bar owners are moaning about a non-story, if indeed they are moaning. I suspect the drop in income, if real, is related to availability of disposable income rather than parking charges.