Sheffield Council trying to kill off city centre pubs and bars?

Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you go into town less now the parking has been reduced.

• Yes I use the town less in an evening as a result of charges to 8.30
    • No It has had no effect on my trips into town or the time I spend there.

Pricing

Saturday or Sunday £3.00 all day

Less than the price of a beer in Dada, then...and if you can find your ticket, put it in the machine, then remember which level you left the car on, you're probably fit to drive home.

According to the council website they changed the parking prices and times in order to "offer more flexible and convenient parking".

I don't see why that couldn't include parking on single yellows before 8.30pm if it didn't cause problems with traffic flow.

I went into town on Saturday night to see a band at West Street Live and guess what? I managed to park (in car park behind - opposite Trippet Lane) without any problems, I just chose to pay for the privilege that's the difference. £3 all day... can't grumble at that.

What's wrong with public transport???

I live on the edge of Sheffield and there isn't any way for us to get in within a few hours using public transport. My mum likes to use public transport as she can't drive and she is a pensioner. She goes to Doncaster, Barsley and Leeds instead as they are easier than Sheffield.

there still plenty of reasonable parking

It is nothing more than petty minded bureaucracy and greed by a council still living in the 1950s.

But its not just Sheffield. Both Liverpool and Manchester did this a while back.

There is a very large Q-Park 1 or 2 minute's walk away from most Trippet Lane drinking establishments

That's hardly the point though is it. This isn't a thread about Trippet Lane. This is about parking across the city. It was possible to park on single yellow lines on Sundays until 3 months ago. How does it improve access to the city centre if all of this parking is made off limits purely to line the pockets of the council?

There are a lot of businesses that are pulling out of the city centre and moving to places where parking is freely available. Do you believe that removing half the parking places in Sheffield improves the business model for them staying or encourages anyone to invest in 7 Stones?

If people are going into the bars for a good boozing session then they shouldn't be worried about where to park the car.

If people are going into the bars for a good boozing session then they shouldn't be worried about where to park the car.

How do you work that out? One person in our party always has to drive. Taxis aren't always easy to book or reliable on busy evenings. They are also very expensive so one of us would rather drive. Having said that, we rarely come into Sheffield day or night due to parking being a pain or expensive.

How do you work that out? One person in our party always has to drive. Taxis aren't always easy to book or reliable on busy evenings. They are also very expensive so one of us would rather drive. Having said that, we rarely come into Sheffield day or night due to parking being a pain or expensive.

It reminds me of the council's short sighted attitude to parking in Graves Park. They installed a parking meter in the park's car park. The result was folk parked on the surrounding roads and didn't use the car park. So council paint double yellows all around the area so folk have to park in the car park.

This is all well and good but on sunny days and weekends the car park isn't big enough. This didn't used to be a problem because they could park on surrounding streets. But as these now have double yellows they can't now park anywhere at all and have to go elsewhere. It does wonders for the takings in the cafe.

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 15:35 ----------

But what if they weren't parking to go boozing. What if they were in town for a food festival or were parking to go to the gym?

No they aren't moaning about a non story. For years folk could go into town on a Sunday and park on single yellow lines. It wasn't a working day and caused no disruption to traffic. They could also park in meter bays free of charge. This meant that loads of folk could come into the city and enjoy the cafe bars etc.

Then the council decided to charge for metres on Sundays and extended the charging period up to 8.30. This isn't an issue because the charge is only £1 and most folk are happy to pay it. But because of council greed they suspended parking on single yellow lines to force folk to use the meters. So at a stroke the majority of Sunday parking has disappeared. You can't even pay £1 at a meter and park on the yellow lines any more.

If you go into town on a wet Sunday you don't want to have to walk 500 metres when there is parking close to the venue that doesn't cause traffic congestion.

It is nothing more than petty minded bureaucracy and greed by a council still living in the 1950s.

So you think the Council should subsidise your leisure activities at the expense of essential public services?

Everybdoy seems to be missing the point here.

IF the local businesses trade is substantially down since these restrictions were brought in, then this is a very real issue.

Regards

Doom