What a palaver renewing my photo driving license

cant understand why u sent an identical photo to the one already on your license when u are supposed to send an updated one. common sense really. no wonder they sent it back!

Was thinking exactly the same the whole point of updating your photo is surely to send a recent photo whatever you look like or what's the point in doing it?

i realised about 2 months ago that i had forgot to renew my photocard licence and was worried about the time lapse and would they suspend my licence . i could not afford to get it done straightaway . so i phoned dvla and was told there was no time limit to renew the licence so i still have not ,it just sounds like a moneyspinner to me

i realised about 2 months ago that i had forgot to renew my photocard licence and was worried about the time lapse and would they suspend my licence . i could not afford to get it done straightaway . so i phoned dvla and was told there was no time limit to renew the licence so i still have not ,it just sounds like a moneyspinner to me

No 'time limit' for renewal, but until you do so, your license is no longer valid. You are not entitled to drive until you renew it.

Your insurance will probably be invalid, meaning you could be driving without insurance.

It's HAREbrain you bloody air brain!

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

{shouldn't it be 'air head'?} :blush:

---------- Post added 21-07-2013 at 23:39 ----------

I've asked my mum (Medusa) to ban you again,

She couldn't have spawned a lad as daft as you mega :hihi:

Perhaps you should've stuck with your old paper licence?

DVLA Sent me numerous invitations to 'trade in' my paper licence for a photo licence.

"Thank you - but No, thank you. MY existing licence is valid for few years yet. - I'm notifying you of a change of address."

Perhaps you should've stuck with your old paper licence?

DVLA Sent me numerous invitations to 'trade in' my paper licence for a photo licence.

"Thank you - but No, thank you. MY existing licence is valid for few years yet. - I'm notifying you of a change of address."

I believe that, in 2015, there will be a stronger "encouragement" coming your way to get a photocard licence.

In any case, in 2014, counterparts will no longer be issued.

Already as from January this year, the photocard looks more like an EU card and hiring a car in the EU is becoming more difficult without a photocard licence.

And that's the point, driving licences across the EU are being unified in look and purpose.

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 18:22 ----------

No 'time limit' for renewal, but until you do so, your license is no longer valid. You are not entitled to drive until you renew it.

Your insurance will probably be invalid, meaning you could be driving without insurance.

I'm afraid that is not quite true.

If you have held the entitlement to drive a vehicle and have not had that entitlement withdrawn by disqualification, you are still entitled to drive.

Not having an in-date photocard is an administrative offence (with up to £1000 fine) as is displaying an incorrect permanent address.

Ask the DVLA twice or three times about how long a grace period there may be for an expired photocard and I can almost guarantee you'll get two or three different answers. It is the case that drivers on late renewal have, on occasions, found that their vocational/additional (truck, bus, motorbike) entitlements have dropped off the licence. In such cases, the DVLA have been known to lose evidence of these entitlements (new IT servers and loss of data) and drivers have been forced to re-take driving/riding tests.

Whether an insurer would always honour a policy in place held by a driver with an expired photocard is a different matter and anyone's guess, though.

Edited by DT Ralge

I believe that, in 2015, there will be a stronger "encouragement" coming your way to get a photocard licence.

Not a problem. I went into the local licencing office here a few years ago and said: "I want to change my British Driving Licence for a German Driving licence."

You don't have to do that Sir!" Said the man. "EU law says that no EU State can force a member of another EU State to exchange his driving licence."

You are, of course perfectly correct!" said I (knowing full well how that law came into existence) but the Brits can work around that! They require the holder of a UK driving licence to register his/her UK address with DVLA. I haven't got a UK address, so I can't register it with DVLA and I need a new licence.

He accepted that, then he looked at my licence. (It's a long story, but I had a driving licence which allowed me (didn't qualify me, but allowed me) to drive anything with wheels on and anything with tracks on.[no weight limits])

"What's a tracked vehicle?" "Well, there are all sorts of tracked vehicles. A Chllenger is a tracked vehicle."

"Yes, I know. - You don't want a licence to drive a tank, do you?"

"No, just a car and a bike."

"OK". I got my new licence - which is valid indefinitely.