Ashes discussion thread

SpikeMac

So, here we are. A ten match run of Ashes tests begins today and ends in January 2014.

Australia seemed to have sorted their internal disciplne problems with the appointment of the universally respected Darren Lehmann. They also have an impressive battery of quick bowlers.

England are strong in all departments. They certainly have a better batting side than the Aussies and in Swann, they have one of the finest spin bowlers in the world. Those two things combined mean that they start as favourites to retain the urn.

It promises to be a good series. Aussie sides almost always show fighting spirit. England have genuine class. I suspect that they will have a bit too much for the Aussies, but I'm not expecting a rout.

Bring it on.

i think you've summed it up pretty well there!

Darren Lehman will bring some common sense to the Aussie dressing room and will certainly lighten them up a bit

England should be stronger - in the bowling department i still have my doubts about Broad - he has the odd sensational match, but too many average performances

good to see two yorkshire players in the team - shame Bresnan missed out, but i think he's just not quite good enough at the top level

i doubt the aussies will give in too easily, and we've had our share of batting collapses over recent years, but i think our best players are better than their best players and as long as Cook, Pietersen and Anderson perform as they are capable of doing, we should win the series

can't see it being a whitewash though

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 15:20 ----------

having said all that, someone needs to get hold of this first innings at trent bridge - hopefully bairstow and bell can both get big scores

Broad still seems troubled by the shoulder injury,all in all Englands bowling attack looks far more menacing than the Aussies.

First day was a bowlers day,our batters played some very poor shots,apart from Root,but the bowlers came back very strong,Anderson bowled the dangerous Clarke a peach,and at 117-9,Oz looked in dire straits,but credit to Agar and Hughes for getting them off the hook,but the missed stumping was very poor,and in hindsight its the umpires that have got the aussies out of jail,Agar was very fortunate

The Trott decision was a very poor one indeed,understandbly England are VERY unhappy,we need to dig in today and set them around 350,and hope Broad is fit,pitch looks bone dry and will deteriorate more as the game goes on,making batting pretty difficult.

Its been great entertainment thus far.

Edited by staninoodle