Ashes discussion thread

SpikeMac

Need more runs first dig. It's been the undoing of us and will be again. Bit disappointed on how swan bowled to pattinson today as well. Finn needs a break, but I don't think onions or bresnan are going to be a deal better, although bres can bat a bit. Is tremlett bowling well at the moment?

Need more runs first dig. It's been the undoing of us and will be again. Bit disappointed on how swan bowled to pattinson today as well. Finn needs a break, but I don't think onions or bresnan are going to be a deal better, although bres can bat a bit. Is tremlett bowling well at the moment?

Bresnan is a must. He adds a lot of stability to the lower order and he is mean when he bowls.

He's not the most exciting cricketer, but I think that he could be as important in this series as Ashley Giles was in 2005.

The Aussies have worked out Swann's batting, so we really need Bresnan in the lower order. The partnerships from seven to ten are crucial to winning test matches.

finn can be a fantastic bowler in the right conditions but he is too inconsistent - bresnan is a bit more consistent, just not as destructive and to me is more of a fill in bowler rather than one to provide a breakthrough

on form bresnan strengthens the batting lower down the order - but his test form from memory isn't great

Can anyone explain why there's another Ashes series straight after this one in Australia. It doesn't seem good scheduling to me.

Australia hosts the ICC in 2014-15,thats when we were due to tour.It was considered that 5 months was too long a tour down under for Englands players so,both sides agreed a switch to back to back ashes series this year was the best solution.

Last time it happened was mid seventies,74 i think.

Another below par score on what sounds like a nice bit of tarmac. Our only hope is that the sissies are worse. I think, with hindsight admittedly, Finn should have been picked (bar a Bresnan 50) as he's a bit quicker and its home ground. Harris seemed to have bowled well.

Another good knock by bell, we'd be knackered without it.