High Speed Rail confirmed at Meadowhall

No, the value of a house doesn't include soft furnishings. Ive been buying and selling houses since 1985.

An example - I have quite a few windows. I wait until the sales are on to get best value. I have got tabbed top curtains so there isn't as much material required as with other styles. I'm lucky to be able to get a good quality material (not top of the range with a big pattern match) made up at Dunelm for less than £2,000. I can't get ready made curtains to fit without altering them.

I spent £150,000 in the first eighteen months I moved in renovating my house and I'm almost finished doing it again now Ive been here thirteen years. I would never get this money back if the line came through my property. Does that answer your question?

No, the value of a house doesn't include soft furnishings. Ive been buying and selling houses since 1985.

An example - I have quite a few windows. I wait until the sales are on to get best value. I have got tabbed top curtains so there isn't as much material required as with other styles. I'm lucky to be able to get a good quality material (not top of the range with a big pattern match) made up at Dunelm for less than £2,000. I can't get ready made curtains to fit without altering them.

I spent £150,000 in the first eighteen months I moved in renovating my house and I'm almost finished doing it again now Ive been here thirteen years. I would never get this money back if the line came through my property. Does that answer your question?

Yep I can see it may be a problem for some...better brush up on their negotiating skills I suppose... :)

I can see why some people wouldn't like it to run near their home, I wouldn't like it. I hope people are given compensation that makes it worth their while to move house. I really feel for those people.

I’ve not had direct experience of compulsory purchase, but a couple of indirect ones.

In Sheffield, in the late 60s, a friend’s mother’s corner shop was compulsory purchased. She complained that the council had taken over and demolished most of the surrounding houses much earlier than the section with the shop in. As a result, takings dropped in the lead up to the shop being taken over, resulting in a poorer price than she thought she ought to get. I don’t know if she had a good case to complain or not, as it was only her side of the story.

A few years later, as a student in Manchester, a group of us rented a flat over the top of a sweet shop, in a small row of shops.. The whole area was due to be demolished. Again, the surrounding houses were all cleared long before the row of shops, making me think it might be normal to leave shops until the end.

Two occasions, and in both cases most of the houses were demolished long before the shops. There might be a good reason (possibly to ensure the local community had access to shops until they moved away), but it has always left me wondering what the motives were. If I were ever to be involved in compulsory purchases, I’d be wary.

I’ve not had direct experience of compulsory purchase, but a couple of indirect ones.

In Sheffield, in the late 60s, a friend’s mother’s corner shop was compulsory purchased. She complained that the council had taken over and demolished most of the surrounding houses much earlier than the section with the shop in. As a result, takings dropped in the lead up to the shop being taken over, resulting in a poorer price than she thought she ought to get. I don’t know if she had a good case to complain or not, as it was only her side of the story.

A few years later, as a student in Manchester, a group of us rented a flat over the top of a sweet shop, in a small row of shops.. The whole area was due to be demolished. Again, the surrounding houses were all cleared long before the row of shops, making me think it might be normal to leave shops until the end.

Two occasions, and in both cases most of the houses were demolished long before the shops. There might be a good reason (possibly to ensure the local community had access to shops until they moved away), but it has always left me wondering what the motives were. If I were ever to be involved in compulsory purchases, I’d be wary.

There's be complaints if the shops were the first thing to go...the council are in a lose-lose situation aren't they?

There's be complaints if the shops were the first thing to go...the council are in a lose-lose situation aren't they?

I agree that they would be, but it should not give them the right to disadvantage a shop because of forcing the customers to move away first. I repeat that I do not know how compensation is calculated, so I don't know if the shopkeepers did lose out in the cases I mentioned. One claimed she did, and I never spoke to the other about it. It just struck me that the shopkeeper in the first case might have had a valid moan.

Is it just me or does the HS2 project just seem slightly bonkers?

Google (and others) are going to have self driving cars cracked before the first leg (london to brum) of HS2 is due to open in 2026 (if on time)...

The Yorkshire sections (if ever completed) are not due to be running until 2032!! ...we will probably have teleporters by then for crying out loud...

HS2 is surely a massive waste of money , £ 42 BILLION and counting . Just to save a few minutes getting from A to B which only benefits a small minority of the population??

- how can we stop this?

Surely spending a few billion to fibre up THE WHOLE OF THE SODDING UK to world beating internet speeds would be a better (and fairer) investment?

Is it just me or does the HS2 project just seem slightly bonkers?

Google (and others) are going to have self driving cars cracked before the first leg (london to brum) of HS2 is due to open in 2026 (if on time)...

The Yorkshire sections (if ever completed) are not due to be running until 2032!! ...we will probably have teleporters by then for crying out loud...

HS2 is surely a massive waste of money , £ 42 BILLION and counting . Just to save a few minutes getting from A to B which only benefits a small minority of the population??

- how can we stop this?

Surely spending a few billion to fibre up THE WHOLE OF THE SODDING UK to world beating internet speeds would be a better (and fairer) investment?

Its utter madness but for political expedience its being pushed ahead

HS2 isn't just about saving a few minutes travelling time for a 'supposed' elite.

The section of the WCML between London and Birmingham is almost at capacity, despite that line being subject to a £12 billion upgrade in recent years. Britain needs a new railway line between its two largest cities and if your going to do that then it makes sense to extend that network to the other two most important cities in England i.e. Manchester and Leeds.

The first Phase of HS1 will be going ahead in a few years and no doubt the people from the North currently berating this project will feel equally hard done by if the government decided to just build the first phase between London and Birmingham, and then cancel Phase 2 up to Manchester and Leeds.

Even £40 billion phased over the 15 year construction lifetime of the project isn't that much. Worrying about the figure is as senseless as worrying about how much you owe on your mortgage when you have many years to pay it off and can comfortably afford the monthly payments.

Pretty much every other major developed country in Europe is expanding their high speed rail network, the UK is only playing catch up. I'm all for it, the sooner they start building it the better.

The Worst kept secret in transport is finally known, Sheffield's High Speed station will be at Meadowhall and not in the city centre.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/hs2-phase-two-media-assets/

The video shows the correct location of the stations (albeit some artistic license on the lines) and suggests Leeds will get a city centre station just to the South of the city centre on New Lane, Nottingham will get a parkway at Toton sidings and Manchester will get two stations at it's airport and Piccadilly.

I didn't think there was any secret, because the first time I saw the details,when they were first published,it said Meadowhall then.

HS2 isn't just about saving a few minutes travelling time for a 'supposed' elite.

The section of the WCML between London and Birmingham is almost at capacity, despite that line being subject to a £12 billion upgrade in recent years. Britain needs a new railway line between its two largest cities and if your going to do that then it makes sense to extend that network to the other two most important cities in England i.e. Manchester and Leeds.

The first Phase of HS1 will be going ahead in a few years and no doubt the people from the North currently berating this project will feel equally hard done by if the government decided to just build the first phase between London and Birmingham, and then cancel Phase 2 up to Manchester and Leeds.

Even £40 billion phased over the 15 year construction lifetime of the project isn't that much. Worrying about the figure is as senseless as worrying about how much you owe on your mortgage when you have many years to pay it off and can comfortably afford the monthly payments.

Pretty much every other major developed country in Europe is expanding their high speed rail network, the UK is only playing catch up. I'm all for it, the sooner they start building it the better.

But aren't the vast majority of the problems on the system caused by huge numbers of commuters moving fairly short distances at peak times? This new line is a high speed city to city link. Not much good really for commuters unless they want to commute from brum to London which really doesn't do much to move the wealth away from the capital...Google is starting to build a fibre network in the USA...they estimate about $ 500 per house to build it (and their distances house to house are often a lot bigger than ours). If we could do the same here for £ 500 per household across the whole UK with approx 20 million households that = £ 10 billion (hope my maths is correct). Everyone gets 1Gbps speeds. That would make the UK one of the best places in the world to do business. The whole of the UK , not just London to Birmingham. And having speeds like this will enable proper home working, taking huge pressure off the whole of the transport system?

Also , France is cancelling all but one of their planned high speed upgrades...

Interesting letter in the Fail today , claims that HS2 is part of an EU project , part of the Trans-European Network to create a fast line from Warsaw to Birmingham ... Suggests that "resistance is futile" and that any "consultations are meaningless" because this project has already been decided by the EU .

So despite old Austin whatshisname's protests in the Select Committee we seem to have no choice , this is a "done deal" . How do you feel about that? Personally I'm not too impressed by our politicians , the word b"&^%!t comes to mind when taking us plebs' opinions into account .