High Speed Rail confirmed at Meadowhall

I'll quite frankly be amazed if HS 2 is built and running by 2063.

Wasn't hs1 built pretty much on time. .?

I'm surprised that the phasing is so long. Surely they can start 2b before 2a is finished?

Is this the cow incident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18011866

If so, Oxford and not the HS1 line.

Wow, I would have been off the train in double quick time with a carrier bag. Fillet steak for the freezer, free to pick up off the floor. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Angel.

Wow, I would have been off the train in double quick time with a carrier bag. Fillet steak for the freezer, free to pick up off the floor. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Angel.

Suprised it didn't moove out of the way...

I can see why some people wouldn't like it to run near their home, I wouldn't like it. I hope people are given compensation that makes it worth their while to move house. I really feel for those people.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it to run near their home, I wouldn't like it. I hope people are given compensation that makes it worth their while to move house. I really feel for those people.

Yes. As with all major infrastructure schemes and Compulsory Purchase Orders, affected properties' owners are entitled to compensation at [usually] market value + all fees.

Yes. As with all major infrastructure schemes and Compulsory Purchase Orders, affected properties' owners are entitled to compensation at [usually] market value + all fees.

Even if both parties agree on what a fair market price is that still leaves the home owner out of pocket. What about the money they will need to buy all new soft furnishings and perhaps a new kitchen and bathroom? They should be able to expect the same standard of living in their new house.

Even if both parties agree on what a fair market price is that still leaves the home owner out of pocket. What about the money they will need to buy all new soft furnishings and perhaps a new kitchen and bathroom? They should be able to expect the same standard of living in their new house.

Won't they be able to take the furniture with them? If they get market value for their property then they will be able to buy an equivalent house..or am I missing something?

Won't they be able to take the furniture with them? If they get market value for their property then they will be able to buy an equivalent house..or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing a lot. Soft furnishings includes the sofa but what about carpets and curtains? They aren't going to fit a different house and neither is the same arrangement of furniture. What about the kitchen and bathroom? Unless its a new build the chances are it will need ripping out. Even if its in good condition its unlikely to be to their own taste. I take it you have never refurbed a house when you move in. I'm putting myself in their shoes. Luckily for me the line is at the wrong side of the M1 but its not a million miles away. If I had to move I would expect the same standard of living in my new house as I currently have. Its bad enough being forced to move without losing the quality of your home or being out of pocket.

Yes, you are missing a lot. Soft furnishings includes the sofa but what about carpets and curtains? They aren't going to fit a different house and neither is the same arrangement of furniture. What about the kitchen and bathroom? Unless its a new build the chances are it will need ripping out. Even if its in good condition its unlikely to be to their own taste. I take it you have never refurbed a house when you move in. I'm putting myself in their shoes. Luckily for me the line is at the wrong side of the M1 but its not a million miles away. If I had to move I would expect the same standard of living in my new house as I currently have. Its bad enough being forced to move without losing the quality of your home or being out of pocket.

Wouldn't the market price reflect curtains/carpets etc?..things that couldn't be removed..why would a kitchen need ripping out unless it was a new build? How often do you change yours? You'd take the condition of the house you're looking to buy into consdideration when you give an offer... :)