Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

They put the Broomhill one's up by 100% last year. Where ya going next Planner1. Crosspool, Crookes, Fuwood, Lodge Moor? You could put one on Lydgate Lane. There is a park AND a school. Think of the dosh you could make there!

They put all the pay and display charges up from 20p to 40p in all the permit parking zones, not just Broomhill.

What do you mean where am I going next? Are you forgetting I don't work for SCC at the moment?

Depends how you raise the money. Penalising families on a trip to the park is unethical in my opinion. You can't get a much more family-oriented day out. Fresh air, quality fun family time. Something that, until now, was considered a free alternative for all those people who just want to 'be'.

Oh, yes, let's collar them with a charge and ruin their day. Lovely!

And, you look on any parking-related website, and all you find are things written about the danger of children around parked cars on the street. Moving cars unable to see them.

Well, SCC are doing a damn good job at making people stay at home. Well done!

I'm boycotting Millhouses Park henceforth. Shame. All that money spent on doing it up, and making it nice.

Do they charge for park car parks in the north of Sheffield, Planner1? Or do the Labour Councillors live up there?

its not like they are charging an admission fee to the park, just charging a modest amount to use the car park - something that the majority does not use.

Well they will be doing soon because Hillsborough Park is one of the ones to get parking charges. Be interesting to see whether those same charges apply on match days when the car park is used exclusively by Wednesday fans.

Of course Hillsborough has a bit of a history of voting LibDem so they need to be punished too...

interesting, so people are being prevented from using the park by football supporters then....

its not like they are charging an admission fee to the park, just charging a modest amount to use the car park - something that the majority does not use.

The people who might, and I say might, be hardest hit are those who bring their dogs to the park every day, not the more occasional users of the swings.

Except, as has been previously said, the majority will park on Abbeydale Road South if they can. This may not have too much effect on pedestrians, but it may contribute to more moving vehicle accidents as cars look for a space and shunt in and out.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.

They put all the pay and display charges up from 20p to 40p in all the permit parking zones, not just Broomhill.

That makes it all right, then?

It is not just in permit zones either. The Parkers Road car park was subject to this 100% increase too. This crucifies parents who drop off their kids at school, of which I am one. I wrote to the council about this, and was told to drop my son at the gate.

My son is six.

The fifteen minutes free parking is not ample time to see my son to school and ensure that he is settled, before returning to my car, therefore, I have to cough up.

I walk most mornings, but in the afternoon, the hill back up to where I live is too much for my little one, after a day at school.

I see a warden there slapping on the fines practically every morning cos a parent has gone over their free parking by a minute. It's not even peak time! The car park is practically empty apart from a few parents, yet there they are policing that car park cos we parents are easy prey. 80p a day for a two twenty minute stays (I drive in inclement conditions) adds up to a hell of a lot for parking in my opinion. The council know that this is easy money to make.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could pay for just half an hour at 20p, but it is an hour minimum charge. It's a swindle. It infuriates me. Oh, and what is even more annoying now, is that suddenly these machines have stopped taking the 'new' 5p and 10p coins. WTF? Can we use the old ones? I still have some lying around. Oh, and they don't give change either, or should I say, they are happy to 'accept overpayment'. Well I never!!!!! You don't say. So, basically, it just accepts 20p pieces, or 50p pieces. It's a Goddamn con.

It is not just in permit zones either. The Parkers Road car park was subject to this 100% increase too. This crucifies parents who drop off their kids at school, of which I am one. I wrote to the council about this, and was told to drop my son at the gate.

Parkers Road is in the Broomhill Permit Zone.

I see a warden there slapping on the fines practically every morning cos a parent has gone over their free parking by a minute. It's not even peak time! The car park is practically empty apart from a few parents, yet there they are policing that car park cos we parents are easy prey. 80p a day for a two twenty minute stays (I drive in inclement conditions) adds up to a hell of a lot for parking in my opinion. The council know that this is easy money to make.

And you know these people have gone over by only a minute how?

It doesn't matter whether the car park is busy or not, you know the rules, you overstay, you get a ticket.

If you think 40p an hour is expensive for parking, you need to get out more. It's incredibly cheap.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could pay for just half an hour at 20p, but it is an hour minimum charge. It's a swindle.

Park somewhere further away that is free if you don't want to pay. It will probably cost you more than 40p in fuel.

Oh, and what is even more annoying now, is that suddenly these machines have stopped taking the 'new' 5p and 10p coins. WTF? Can we use the old ones? I still have some lying around.

They haven't "suddenly" stopped. They have never worked with the newer coins. This is a well publicised problem caused by the government introducing the coins which are made from a different metal. Local Authorities around the country are having to spend millions upgrading pay and display machines.

Oh, and they don't give change either, or should I say, they are happy to 'accept overpayment'. Well I never!!!!! You don't say. So, basically, it just accepts 20p pieces, or 50p pieces. It's a Goddamn con.

No, they accept 10p and 5p coins just like the always have. The "new" coins only make up a very small proportion of the coins currently in circulation. You seem to be under some misapprehension about what constitutes a new coin. Perhaps you should get your facts right before typing.

The machines have never given change. I'm informed that no one makes pay and display machines which give change.

Planner1.

I know that some have gone over by 1 minute because I am nosey. I KNOW the people to whom this has happened. They are fellow parents. I also see, and hear, incredible numbers of rows between inspectors and drivers.

My opinions on parking are not a reflection of how much I do or don't get out. They are based upon my principles, my ethical and moral values.

The parking is the same price further away. There are not many easy-to-find free-parking zones in Broomhill to be fair.

And, for me, yes paying £20 a month in pure parking for school drop-offs is a lot of money. For you to say that it is not, and that I need to get out more, shows complete ignorance of people's personal situations.

Whether the machines have ever given change or not is irrelevant. They should. Some machines used to give change, and that is fact!