Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

This could also be quite damaging for many sports clubs and fitness activitys that take place in parks. Rents to operate in parks keep going up, which means the people taking part in the sport have to pay more to cover the increased charges the sports club has to pay.

TO add another 40p per hour to parents/sports participants is another charge, on top of increased training fees. As many activitys last an hour or maybe more, people would need to pay 80p car parking fees, the sports club could train for 45 minutes (to allow people to park up and get out of the park within the hour) but people tend not to like to pay more to get less.

This is one charge that does seem back to front, especially when we have a government/council that is forever bleating on about obesity and employing armys of experts to tackle the problem of inactivity, and trying to work out why people don't do physical activity.

I also think sports users create a feeling of reassurance for people walking around the park at night. A team of burly rugby players less than 50 meters away at Hillsborough Park does make the place feel safer, it would be a shame if they were priced out of the park.

If you want to avoid car parking charges, then you have to go to parks such as Longley Park, although if these parks became popular I'm sure a charge would be added to this park as well.

PS If you don't work for the council, you should. You would fit in well.

He certainly would. A good council is one that listens to the electorate and acts on their behlf. A bad council is arrogant enough to ignore the electorate and try to persuade it to accept its' stupid ideas. We have a bad council and he would fit in well there.

Planner1.

I know that some have gone over by 1 minute because I am nosey. I KNOW the people to whom this has happened. They are fellow parents. I also see, and hear, incredible numbers of rows between inspectors and drivers.

My opinions on parking are not a reflection of how much I do or don't get out. They are based upon my principles, my ethical and moral values.

The parking is the same price further away. There are not many easy-to-find free-parking zones in Broomhill to be fair.

And, for me, yes paying £20 a month in pure parking for school drop-offs is a lot of money. For you to say that it is not, and that I need to get out more, shows complete ignorance of people's personal situations.

Whether the machines have ever given change or not is irrelevant. They should. Some machines used to give change, and that is fact!

Compared to the cost of owning and running a car, £20 is not much and as I said, 40p an hour is a very modest parking charge when compared to towns and cities elsewhere.

Irrespective of whether you think pay and display machines should give change, if there are no such machines available, how do you expect the Council to provide them?

Compared to the cost of owning and running a car, £20 is not much and as I said, 40p an hour is a very modest parking charge when compared to towns and cities elsewhere.

Irrespective of whether you think pay and display machines should give change, if there are no such machines available, how do you expect the Council to provide them?

Problem is these costs tend to hurt people on the lowest wages.

The odd 40p here and there adds up and many people are struggling to afford to meet these extra costs. If you have good wages, then these extra costs are not that bad.

These extra costs are hurting more and more people.

He certainly would. A good council is one that listens to the electorate and acts on their behlf. A bad council is arrogant enough to ignore the electorate and try to persuade it to accept its' stupid ideas. We have a bad council and he would fit in well there.

Maybe the council does listen to the electorate, ie the ones who voted them in. Maybe the people who voted in this council DO think these charges are fair. Perhaps, as I did not cast my vote for this council, that is why they are not interested. Maybe WE are the non-electorate.

And yes, Shef Fitness, as a single parent, that twenty quid I spend in those damn machines could feed me and my child, or anyone and their child for that matter, for a few days. Money much better spent, in my opinion.

Edited by Babooshka

Problem is these costs tend to hurt people on the lowest wages.

The odd 40p here and there adds up and many people are struggling to afford to meet these extra costs. If you have good wages, then these extra costs are not that bad.

These extra costs are hurting more and more people.

Yes indeed.

However, the Council are faced with stark choices, Do they charge / increase existing charges, or do they severely cut or just stop delivering certain services?

This is the true impact of the Government's austerity measures. We are all going to be poorer in some way and some will be impacted more than others.

Yes indeed.

However, the Council are faced with stark choices, Do they charge / increase existing charges, or do they severely cut or just stop delivering certain services?

This is the true impact of the Government's austerity measures. We are all going to be poorer in some way and some will be impacted more than others.

Why not save £600K by not paying trade union officials who do not work for the council. Then save more by sacking council workers who do no work but spend the day posting on the internet.

The problem is that no one wants to accept cuts in services or increased costs when they affect them.

This is the real impact of the government's austerity measures, we are going to have ether less services or we will have to pay more for the ones we want to retain. Things cannot stay the way they are, because there is not enough money.

The problem is that no one wants to accept cuts in services or increased costs when they affect them.

I think you mean '...effect them'. We 'effect' change, not affect it.

Just out of curiousity, Planner1, do you have kids, and do you go to Millhouses Park?