Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

It is in the council minutes about siting parking meters in Graves Park that the meters cost over £9000 and not the £2000 you were quoting.

Try reading a post properly before you start quoting it.

I said:

"pay and display machines cost £2.5-£4k installed depending on the type of machine and the location"

So, two machines for £9k is around the upper end of the amounts I quoted.

It also now comes out that one of the meters was put in the wrong place and has had to be re sited before it has even collected a bean.

If the fact that a contractor made a mistake is big news to you, you clearly don't deal with many of them.

Contractors are human, they get it wrong occasionally. They don't get paid till they do it right, so they soon correct any mistakes.

I said:

"pay and display machines cost £2.5-£4k installed depending on the type of machine and the location"

So, two machines for £9k is around the upper end of the amounts I quoted.

If the fact that a contractor made a mistake is big news to you, you clearly don't deal with many of them.

Contractors are human, they get it wrong occasionally. They don't get paid till they do it right, so they soon correct any mistakes.

I said: The machines were OVER £9K

so £2-£4K installed is not in the range.

So, is there a VAT number on the back of the Millhouses display machine tickets?

Like the other thread it seems to be a lot of whinging about very little, with too much emphasis on "what if". We've had claims as ridiculous as the machines will get damaged by drug dealers right through to entire families being mown down on nearby roads.

It really is pathetic. The council doesn't even have to provide parking, so just suck it up and pay the meagre amount, or find somewhere nearby free if it bothers you that much.

I said: The machines were OVER £9K

so £2-£4K installed is not in the range.

Sorry to be pedantic, but two for aprox £9k would be aprox £4.5k, each, which, when we are talking about broad figures is close to the upper end of the figures I quoted, which were of course approximations.

Sorry to be pedantic, but two for aprox £9k would be aprox £4.5k, each, which, when we are talking about broad figures is close to the upper end of the figures I quoted, which were of course approximations.

Again you should probably look again at the words.

When you quoted your bogus figures of A machine costing between £2.5 and £4 K installed you imply that the cost of installation is between 2.5 and 4 grand. Ie somewhere in between with £4K being the absolute maximum. Which clearly it isn't.

Now when I report that the cost of installing a pair of machines in Graves park was ABOVE £9K. That is because the cost was between £9K and £10K. Around £9,400 if my memory serves me correctly. Now as the guys only had to hire one digger and one skip and send one pickup with guys to do the job installing 2 machines together will considerably reduce installation costs per unit.

So if you want to be pedantic you should say that the cost of installing these machines is between £4.5K and £6K each. That is some way north of the figures you tried to pedal.

Again you should probably look again at the words.

When you quoted your bogus figures of A machine costing between £2.5 and £4 K installed you imply that the cost of installation is between 2.5 and 4 grand. Ie somewhere in between with £4K being the absolute maximum. Which clearly it isn't.

Now when I report that the cost of installing a pair of machines in Graves park was ABOVE £9K. That is because the cost was between £9K and £10K. Around £9,400 if my memory serves me correctly. Now as the guys only had to hire one digger and one skip and send one pickup with guys to do the job installing 2 machines together will considerably reduce installation costs per unit.

So if you want to be pedantic you should say that the cost of installing these machines is between £4.5K and £6K each. That is some way north of the figures you tried to pedal.

The figures I quoted are not bogus at all, they are the actual estimated figures quoted to me by a Parking Services Manager in a local authority (not Sheffield).

A range of costs were quoted because neither myself nor the people I asked for estimated costs knew the type of machine that SCC are purchasing or the nature of the location. That's why the costs were caveated with "depending on type of machine and location"

I have not implied any "absolute maximum" figure, I've given an indicative range of costs.

In ballpark estimate terms £4.7k is not some way north of £4k, it's in the same ballpark.

The figures I quoted are not bogus at all, they are the actual estimated figures quoted to me by a Parking Services Manager in a local authority (not Sheffield).

A range of costs were quoted because neither myself nor the people I asked for estimated costs knew the type of machine that SCC are purchasing or the nature of the location. That's why the costs were caveated with "depending on type of machine and location"

I have not implied any "absolute maximum" figure, I've given an indicative range of costs.

In ballpark estimate terms £4.7k is not some way north of £4k, it's in the same ballpark.

But none of that bull alters the fact that the figures you brought to the debate to belittle others were way off the mark. It is also worrying that "the people" you asked have no idea either. The simle fact is that the range you quoted was not the range at all because the costs are considerably more.

Would you be happy if a builder gave you a quote of between £2,500 and £4000 but then dropped you a bill for £5 grand?

I suppose it happens all the time with council jobs, which is why we are putting meters in our parks to pay for the squandering.

But none of that bull alters the fact that the figures you brought to the debate to belittle others were way off the mark. It is also worrying that "the people" you asked have no idea either. The simle fact is that the range you quoted was not the range at all because the costs are considerably more.

Would you be happy if a builder gave you a quote of between £2,500 and £4000 but then dropped you a bill for £5 grand?

I suppose it happens all the time with council jobs, which is why we are putting meters in our parks to pay for the squandering.

Would you like to explain how providing a much more accurate figure than the £15k each that someone had quoted as the cost of a P&D machine, is "belittling" them?

We are having a discussion on a Forum, not doing detailed budget / project planning or providing quotes for a project. In such circumstances, ballpark costs are sufficient, as no one on here, including me, appears to have recent experience of the actual cost of installing these things. So, to get an indication, I call up people who have a better knowledge than me of such costs and ask them for ballpark figures.

If you wanted to plan a budget for a project, based on indicative figure like that, if you were sensible, you would allow a healthy contingency sum on top of the highest figure. If you were doing detailed feasibility and costings, you would decide on your specification and get a detailed, firm quote from a supplier, but still allow for a contingency sum.

As I have explained at length, the figures I quoted provided a spread of indicative costs for a variety of machines in a variety of locations. They are not a detailed quote for installing the machines in the parks in question, so you can't reasonably expect them to be bang-on accurate.

They are putting meters in the parks to try to bring in some income to make up for shortfalls caused by huge cuts in government funding, in order to avoid cutting services.

I think its time that Planner1 comes out from behind this cloak of "not working for SCC" and makes clear exactly what their role is. Because there are two possibilities

Either Planner 1 is commenting from a position of authority, being involved with the questions being discussed. If so they should make this clear from the outset.

Otherwise they are talking utter fiction, have no more or less knowledge of the subject that the rest of the people contributing, and should withdraw from commenting.

Because from what has been written, it is clear that if this person is involved in any way with the Council, Is probably also responsible for the many bundled schemes, bad traffic planning and other problems that blight our city, and should be removed immediately.

Planner 1 Who are you, what is your role ? and How much of our taxes is being wasted paying for you to come on here and preach your rubbish when you should be doing something productive ????