Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

I guess they will need to implement more parking charges to cover the £20k damage to the parking meters.

I can think of hundreds of ways the council can save money, and it is NOT through the extortion from the general park-visiting public.

Indeed. I'm not sure handing over £675,000 of our money as a donation to trade unions is exactly vital to our services.

Parking meters in towns survive by consent. Without them people would park where they wanted for as long as they wanted. That isn't the case with parking meters in public parks. They are just there in an attempt to extract cash. They will cause resentment as has been seen on this thread. I doubt they will survive once those nights start drawing in and fireworks go on sale.

Can you produce some statistical evidence to back up your claim that parking on-street is less safe than using the car park?

Planner,

There is a map of road accident statistics that you can find here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm

I cannot find any incidents involving death or injury, inside a car park, wheras there are thousands on the roads.

If you still are not convinced, I suggest you go and wander around in a car park for 5 minutes, then go and try the same thing in the middle of Abbeydale road.

Once the experiment is complete, please report back to us with your findings.

Can you produce some statistical evidence to back up your claim that parking on-street is less safe than using the car park?

Planner,

There is a map of road accident statistics that you can find here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm

I cannot find any incidents involving death or injury, inside a car park, wheras there are thousands on the roads.

If you still are not convinced, I suggest you go and wander around in a car park for 5 minutes, then go and try the same thing in the middle of Abbeydale road.

Once the experiment is complete, please report back to us with your findings.

If street parking around children isn't dangerous why are they putting double yellows outside schools.

Parking meters in towns survive by consent. Without them people would park where they wanted for as long as they wanted. That isn't the case with parking meters in public parks. They are just there in an attempt to extract cash. They will cause resentment as has been seen on this thread. I doubt they will survive once those nights start drawing in and fireworks go on sale.

By the same logic, do you think it's ok to blow up the Town Hall just because they send you a Council Tax demand? Will you be sending a bomb to Downing St because they cut Council budgets and obliged them to raise more income?

The key argument is: Why charge to use the car park when you can park free on the road ? Forcing people to park on the road increases the chances of death or serious injury.

Dont give them ideas for gods sake, they'll put pay machines there now!

If street parking around children isn't dangerous why are they putting double yellows outside schools.

Keeping school entrances clear is a rather different issue to insinuating that children are not safe wherever there is a road with a car parked on it.

People are killed and injured every year by drivers manoeuvring in car parks and driveways. Car usage brings risks.

Keeping school entrances clear is a rather different issue to insinuating that children are not safe wherever there is a road with a car parked on it.

People are killed and injured every year by drivers manoeuvring in car parks and driveways. Car usage brings risks.

The discussion is specifically about Millhouses park where naturally there will be a concentration of children, especially at the weekend, so if its ok to park on the road right outside millhouses park, why not schools?

Edited by Lounge Jay

By the same logic, do you think it's ok to blow up the Town Hall just because they send you a Council Tax demand? Will you be sending a bomb to Downing St because they cut Council budgets and obliged them to raise more income?

Your posts are becoming ever more pathetic in you futile attempt to justify these charges.

As was said before, parking meters on town streets are a good idea as they do a service to the public by controling parking. Parking meters in parks merely get people's backs up by making unnecessary charges for the sake of making money. They cannot be justified and as a result will probably wind up as a target. How you think that in any way suggests condoning attacks on the Town Hall or Downing Street is down to your desperate attempts to defend th indefensible.