Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

I'd just use RingGo on my phone, pay by card through the app and if I'm about to go over, just add another 15 mins.

ok, so will need to work that out but will make life MUCH easier when I do, thanks for that.

Well said Shytot..when it comes to our local parks I don't trust this Labour council one little bit..having been knocked back twice over Graves park it wouldn't surprise me if there is a hidden agenda behind all this.

I suggest standing as an alternative to 'this labour council' then because they will be administration for at least seven years.. They really do not have a choice, budgets are manipulated by central Government for this reason. See how much the safe Tory councils had their budgets cut.. Zero... Classic Tory policies, set the Yorkshire Cities and other inner Cities in fighting to disguise the bigger picture. This is the answer to your hidden agenda

Thats not a bad idea, library's are an old fashioned concept for when the lower classes could not afford books, today most people have access to the Internet instant information twenty four hours a day seven days a week.

As for sacking teachers bring back large classes don't need as many.

oh come on now.... library`s are not old fashioned, they have moved with the times, have all sorts of stuff for kids to do, as well as reading...

are these spaces not already paid for by the council tax payer for up-keep....AS WELL as being PUBLIC SPACE??? & I hope they're prepared for more accidents on Abbeydale Road for all the parking & people trying to cross....or are the next plans for double yellow lines?

....We need an uprising of Sheffielders to claim OUR space back!

Councils think they can 'Think Anything,See Anything & Do What They Want'. THEY think Us Sheffielders,'Hear Nowt, See Owt, Say & Do Nowt'.

These are our parks......

I hope they're prepared for more accidents on Abbeydale Road for all the parking & people trying to cross.

Is there any evidence this will be the case though?

Surely the fairest thing is for the scheme to be tried, and closely monitor the situation for pitfalls and failures, and then put that to the council - rather than coming out with all kinds of "what if" scenarios?

Sheffield "airport" was never worth ANYTHING to anyone.. no one could make it pay with that runway and limited facilities. If airlines can't make it pay, they won't use it (this happened) and therefore it can't raise any revenue, and therefore it's worth nothing.

I have to disagree with almost EVERYTHING you originally posted :)

I'm sure the airport could have worked, we'll never know, but the fact is, Peel Holdings screwed the Council out of the airport by writing a clause into the contract such that if Peel Holdings couldn't run the airport successfully, then they could but it from SCC at the huge price of... £1.

So what did Peel Holdings do? They ran the airport into the ground (presumably to protect their other 'investment', Sheffield-Doncaster-Robin-Hood-Mickey-Mouse airport?) and bought £50 million of land, that taxpayers had coughed up for, for just £1.

Expect SCC didn't even invoice them for the one quid, because SCC said it wasn't worth raising the invoice, or some such nonsense.

Is there any evidence this will be the case though?

Surely the fairest thing is for the scheme to be tried, and closely monitor the situation for pitfalls and failures, and then put that to the council - rather than coming out with all kinds of "what if" scenarios?

This is true. It is far better to wait for someone to be killed before taking precautions to prevent it happening.

are these spaces not already paid for by the council tax payer for up-keep....AS WELL as being PUBLIC SPACE??? & I hope they're prepared for more accidents on Abbeydale Road for all the parking & people trying to cross....or are the next plans for double yellow lines?

....We need an uprising of Sheffielders to claim OUR space back!

Councils think they can 'Think Anything,See Anything & Do What They Want'. THEY think Us Sheffielders,'Hear Nowt, See Owt, Say & Do Nowt'.

These are our parks......

This is a letter from The Star. I can see a parallel here.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/letters/lazy-parents-to-blame-for-parking-1-4677173

I DO hope the parking clampdown around schools (Star June 20), includes Hartley Brook School.

The police have been called to this school on several occasions by different people because of illegal parking.

However, it makes no difference because, as the police themselves have said, they just get the same abuse as residents do from the parkers. If they don’t respect the police, then it’s about time action was taken so that they did.

We have driveways blocked, buses that can’t turn up past the school because people are parked on corners stopping the buses getting round, people parking on the newly laid grass verges and cars going in opposite directions meeting up in the middle of the road and unable to pass because of all the parked cars either side.

We have parents parking about an hour before the kids come out of school, just so they can get the nearest spot to the school gates and they don’t have to walk.

I have seen kids suddenly running out between parked vehicles to reach their parents, too young to appreciate the risks they are taking.

We have parents winding down their car windows and chucking their pop bottles and other rubbish on our doorsteps.

A few months ago we had two parking attendants arrive outside the school at 2.50pm just before the kids were due out.

They propped themselves against the school railings and appeared to do nothing, before wandering off at 3.10pm.

The council can paint double yellow lines two feet wide around the school and some people will just ignore them because they simply don’t care and parking badly is easier than walking.

While ever parents are too lazy to walk and too arrogant to respect the police, this problem will never go away and the first time a child is injured everyone will be blaming someone else.

Edited by pandorra

This is true. It is far better to wait for someone to be killed before taking precautions to prevent it happening.

Killed because they weren't paying attention and were trying to save 40p?

Trying to blame a pay and display machine for this theoretical death would be pushing it.

Trying to blame a pay and display machine for this theoretical death would be pushing it.

But if they did not introduce this scheme, there would be ample free parking, that we've already paid for out of our council tax don't forget, in relative safety away from the potential danger of the road.

What if you just don't happen to have any change for the machine ?

It is not just the parents who have to take care, what about irresponsible drivers on the phone and texting, might just get too close to the parked cars when you're getting the children in and out and tragedy could easily follow. The car park is far safer, and should not be hijacked by the council to make money.

but what of the person that's theoretically killed was the scientist on the verge of curing cancer!!

this just goes to show how Sheffield CCC hate oncologists, and will do anything they can to stop them.

FWIW, i think it's a shame that the car parks are being charged for now, but i can see why they are doing it. there's not many other places left to make cuts / generate easy revenue. we should be grateful that they arent taking out the playgrounds etc, in order to save on maintenance.

the same people pulling the 'poor hard done by motorist' card are many of the same names that can be found bleating about the 'necessary cuts' in other threads. You cant have your cake and eat it too. cut up or shut up.

I don't think this is anythign to do with cuts, the scheme is going to cost a lot to implement, others have pointed this out already.

Its about attacking one of the last free facilities provided, and allowing the council parking wardens new places to issue fines, they are like vultures. In the mornings they hang around the car park at Broomhill where there is 15 minutes free parking for dropping kids off at school, and they do their best to issue as many tickets as they can.

They will be around all the parks now peddling their misery.