Pay and display machine in Millhouses Park

Given the reduction in government funds the council receives as part of the Condems debt reduction programme, what council service do you suggested is cut to pay for free parking to continue - maybe sack a few teachers or close a library?

What exactly are they paying to keep the carpark free? As far as I can see a bit of maintenance as opposed to now having to pay for the meters to be installed and the cost of employing a couple of wardens.

if we're having to pay for parking will the money raised be used to improve and maintain the facilities at the park? all sorts of issues to consider!

I'd just use RingGo on my phone, pay by card through the app and if I'm about to go over, just add another 15 mins.

Another 40p, that they did not have to pay before?:mad:

Expanding builders foam ruins those machines, total right off. disgusting what vandals do.

Looks like I'll be parking on Abbeydale road outside the pub then

It was in the Star earlier this year that these machines ae going in Millhouses, Graves and Hillsborough Park. Clifton Park at Rotherham has them already.

The park car park is only the beginning. As users refuse to pay to park, they park on nearby streets. Then the local residents complain, and the council respond by offering to make the local streets a parking permit zone. That way they can charge local residents to park outside their own homes. Those locals who refuse to pay to park outside their own homes park a little up the road outside others homes. They then get fed up and complain and the council offers to impose another permit parking zone, etc etc. and before long every one is paying to park outside their own homes. The only winners are the council coffers. It wouldn't be so bad if the residents in the parking zones were allowed to park for free, unfortunately that is not so!!

another money making exercise by the council dont be suprised its a labour council when will people never learn and vote these bufoons

Given the reduction in government funds the council receives as part of the Condems debt reduction programme, what council service do you suggested is cut to pay for free parking to continue - maybe sack a few teachers or close a library?

Thats not a bad idea, library's are an old fashioned concept for when the lower classes could not afford books, today most people have access to the Internet instant information twenty four hours a day seven days a week.

As for sacking teachers bring back large classes don't need as many.

Isn't progress grand?

50 years ago you could drive into town and park anywhere you could find a space and it didn't cost a penny. Then came parking meters, and the off street car parks on bomb sites were turned into NCPs.

Now we have 10 times as many cars and there's nowhere left to park them without charge - apart from places like Meadowhall.

Evolution. Car parking spaces cost money to provide. Meadowhall gets it's money back from shop rentals, paid for by those who shop there - and they do in large numbers, paying higher prices than they would online. The parks don't generate any significant income, but cost to maintain.

Nobody likes paying for anything unless they have to. Libraries is a good example. 100 years ago many libraries were subscription libraries until the councils took the lead in offering better free facilities. Even 50 years ago many branches of Boots and W H Smith's still operated libraries paid for by subscriptions. I bet the councils wish they'd left them to offer their services, but they couldn't compete with free competition, so they all closed.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong, just musing how history provides some interesting insights into what was, and makes one wonder where we'll get to in another 50-100 years.

Looks like I'll be parking on Abbeydale road outside the pub then

Yes as will everybody else, all the council has managed to do is make people's lives that bit more dangerous, the cost of putting up and maintaining and policing this will be more than the revenue they generate !!

The only mention on the council website:

We are also considering introducing charges at car parks at Hillsborough, Graves and Millhouses Parks. The charges would be 40p per hour or £2 per day. Blue badge holders would still park for free. All money from these charges would support the daily upkeep of the parks and help to safeguard services.

Sneaked that out