Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Is the Queens Jubilee an extra Bank Holiday or a Public Holiday?

Everyone is entitled to the extra day, Even if it becomes a day in Lue

End of the Day LOVE.... It's a school not free childcare... She is your daughter Deal with it:hihi:

OOOh had to add...

Had a letter from the unions ensuring all staff at any place of work get a day in lue for this if not your bosses are breaking employment law and they will be in trouble for this, this day can be pro rata depending on contractual agreements

If you havent had a day off check out the GMB website for more information

End of the Day LOVE.... It's a school not free childcare... She is your daughter Deal with it:hihi:

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

OOOh had to add...

Had a letter from the unions ensuring all staff at any place of work get a day in lue for this if not your bosses are breaking employment law and they will be in trouble for this

The letter is wrong. Employment law mandates a minimum of 28 days' leave, nothing more than that.

I obviously work in a school and This is the stuff GMB sent me, think its from the Direct.gov website.. Think it answers the OP

Special bank holidays

There are laws that allow the dates of bank holidays to be changed, or other holidays to be declared, for example to celebrate special occasions.

There is a a special bank holiday in 2012 to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The 2012 late May bank holiday has been moved to Monday 4 June 2012 and an additional Jubilee bank holiday will be on Tuesday 5 June 2012.

School Closures

Schools in England and Wales will be able to close on Tuesday 5 June 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

If a school is already closed on 5 June for half term or another reason, it will be able to close on a different day.

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

You're just miffed that you are going to have to look after your own kids aren't you?

You're just miffed that you are going to have to look after your own kids aren't you?

I expect people are, it should be a school day, parents won't be given an 'extra' day of holiday to cover it, so parents have effectively had a days annual leave sacrificed in order to make sure that teachers get an extra day off beyond their usual 13 weeks.

The letter is wrong. Employment law mandates a minimum of 28 days' leave, nothing more than that.

Beyond that it would depend on the specific contract and the wording around BH leave.

Is the Queens Jubilee an extra Bank Holiday or a Public Holiday?

Everyone is entitled to the extra day, Even if it becomes a day in Lue

If a school is closed then teachers already have that day off, why are they entitled to another day?

It's not school if it's closed is it. It's your job to teach, deal with that. (Assuming you are teacher).

I expect people are, it should be a school day, parents won't be given an 'extra' day of holiday to cover it, so parents have effectively had a days annual leave sacrificed in order to make sure that teachers get an extra day off beyond their usual 13 weeks.

What is this world coming to? Parents having to make sacrifices for the sake of their own kids. They'll be expected to feed and clothe them next!:roll:

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

The LEA shifted the half term in an effort to get out of giving the teachers the day off. Why they thought this appropriate is anyone's guess. It's fair enough that they get that day back - everyone else is.

Hit the nail on the head with that statement.