Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Firstly the OP doesn't make any reference to kids being taught, only to the inconvenience of having to make some adjustment to have them looked after. Secondly, your reference to the holidays is pure jealousy. Of course everyone would like 13 weeks holiday per year. Peronally I'm jealous of footballers. I'd love their lifestyle but I don't have the talent to be one. Why don't you become a teacher?

I could have 13 weeks holiday a year if I liked, I'm self employed, and I don't have any children, so I think we can rule out jealousy.

I can see the point the OP has though. Bank Holidays normally fall within school holidays, this one does as well, but to ensure that the teachers don't miss out on an extra day off they're closing schools on others days, requiring parents to take annual leave... That's parents with most likely 33 days or less of annual leave being inconvenienced so that teachers with 65 days annual leave get another 1.

Woah there - I wanted to know if every school was having a day back for the Jubillee, that's all.

I DO still think it's cheeky though. I don't think teachers finish at 3.30 (neither do I, I work in a hospital). And I know they have stressful jobs (so do I, I work in a hospital....) but I do think that claiming "back" a bank holiday because it falls in a school holiday for once, is taking the p*ss. I just don't understand the justification for it.

I am not getting into the how many hours teachers work etc mindless biggots on this forum will think what they like.

As a part time worker I am entitled to annual leave and bank holidays both allocations are worked out pro rata the hours I do. Due to Monday being a non working day I normally have more bank holiday allocation than needed (only need good Friday, Xmas, boxing and new years day depending on when they fall - if they fall on my working day I have to use my bh entitlement). I assume teachers annual leave, pay and bank holiday entitlement is worked out on a similar basis however restricted to school holidays.

My point is most people are being given an additional days leave as a good will gesture, as the council have decided to change spring bank to link in with this bank holiday why should teachers miss the benefit of an additional holiday. Just because someone is in a job with 13 weeks leave (no it's not btw) I work with term time workers and they don't get paid for school holidays as there pay is worked out from the hours they do in a year.

I could have 13 weeks holiday a year if I liked, I'm self employed, and I don't have any children, so I think we can rule out jealousy.

I can see the point the OP has though. Bank Holidays normally fall within school holidays, this one does as well, but to ensure that the teachers don't miss out on an extra day off they're closing schools on others days, requiring parents to take annual leave... That's parents with most likely 33 days or less of annual leave being inconvenienced so that teachers with 65 days annual leave get another 1.

It has been explained in this thread more than once, teachers did not make the decision to take time off. You obviously have a gripe with teachers for some reason but you must realise that they do not decide when to take time off.

I expect people are, it should be a school day, parents won't be given an 'extra' day of holiday to cover it, so parents have effectively had a days annual leave sacrificed in order to make sure that teachers get an extra day off beyond their usual 13 weeks.

I disagree had the additional day not been added parents would have used 4 days annual leave assuming they are not self employed so have some bank holiday entitlement for the Monday. They now get BH entitlement for 2 days so only need 3 days annual leave hence leaving the said 4th day available for use at a later date.

Being able to use leave this way by an employer is a different matter.

who'd have thought that as a teacher they might actually be expected to teach on a day that isn't a bank holiday instead of being given an extra day off... Really, should they be that surprised that people expect them to be teaching?

the. Teachers. Did. Not. Decide. To. Do. This.

Mod note: Please can we refrain from the bickering and stick to the topic in hand, which is whether or not schools will be closing an extra day 'in lieu' of the Jubilee holiday?

Do you often delete posts that ask a relevant question on topic and that have no bickering at all in them?

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

enjoy the time with your kids:roll:

Woah there - I wanted to know if every school was having a day back for the Jubillee, that's all.

I DO still think it's cheeky though. I don't think teachers finish at 3.30 (neither do I, I work in a hospital). And I know they have stressful jobs (so do I, I work in a hospital....) but I do think that claiming "back" a bank holiday because it falls in a school holiday for once, is taking the p*ss. I just don't understand the justification for it.

I would have thought most of the public holidays fell in school holidays - don't they?