Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

All the schools I'm aware of are doing it. As a teacher myself, I don't think it was necessary but the decision was made way above my head.

I'll leave it to somebody else to correct you regarding training days; I'm bored of that one.

The children used to get 14 weeks of the year off. Now they only get 13. The other week was taken as training days for teachers and dotted through the year instead of being tagged onto the summer holiday. It is not an extra week off because they had it already.

As for the amount of time teachers have off....we don't. Working a 60 hour week is the norm, and working through most of the 'holidays' too. The children are off.....we are in, flexibly I admit, but we are working!

As to why I am replying during school hours....I don't work Friday's!

Not a teacher but I will fight their corner.

When you go home after work at night, you go in, throw the kettle on, run a bath and get the vodka out, do teachers? No, they get in, plan lessons, mark work, prepare for the following day etc etc. Then they go to work and get abuse of kids (Secondry school teachers). Not a job that I would be in any rush to do.

The children used to get 14 weeks of the year off. Now they only get 13. The other week was taken as training days for teachers and dotted through the year instead of being tagged onto the summer holiday. It is not an extra week off because they had it already.

As for the amount of time teachers have off....we don't. Working a 60 hour week is the norm, and working through most of the 'holidays' too. The children are off.....we are in, flexibly I admit, but we are working!

As to why I am replying during school hours....I don't work Friday's!

You work 15 hours a day Monday to Thursday?

Not a teacher but I will fight their corner.

When you go home after work at night, you go in, throw the kettle on, run a bath and get the vodka out, do teachers? No, they get in, plan lessons, mark work, prepare for the following day etc etc. Then they go to work and get abuse of kids (Secondry school teachers). Not a job that I would be in any rush to do.

Im sure some teachers wouldn't want to do my job, but there you have it.

People go into their carreers with their eyes open, they know the score and if their not happy to do the work, do something else.

As far as I know, its the council that sets term dates (and way in advance too) theres normally about 2 academic years on their website showing the dates. I think the council gives 5/6 days for training each year, of which the school sorts the dates out.

You work 15 hours a day Monday to Thursday?

Probably not, as he/she said it's the norm. They didn't say they worked it.

It isn't to far fetched though, I used to work between 14-18hrs 6 days a week when I was cheffing.