Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

You're just miffed that you are going to have to look after your own kids aren't you?

I expect people are, it should be a school day, parents won't be given an 'extra' day of holiday to cover it, so parents have effectively had a days annual leave sacrificed in order to make sure that teachers get an extra day off beyond their usual 13 weeks.

Is the Queens Jubilee an extra Bank Holiday or a Public Holiday?

Everyone is entitled to the extra day, Even if it becomes a day in Lue

If a school is closed then teachers already have that day off, why are they entitled to another day?

End of the Day LOVE.... It's a school not free childcare... She is your daughter Deal with it:hihi:

It's not school if it's closed is it. It's your job to teach, deal with that. (Assuming you are teacher).

I expect people are, it should be a school day, parents won't be given an 'extra' day of holiday to cover it, so parents have effectively had a days annual leave sacrificed in order to make sure that teachers get an extra day off beyond their usual 13 weeks.

What is this world coming to? Parents having to make sacrifices for the sake of their own kids. They'll be expected to feed and clothe them next!:roll:

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

The LEA shifted the half term in an effort to get out of giving the teachers the day off. Why they thought this appropriate is anyone's guess. It's fair enough that they get that day back - everyone else is.

Would you care to explain why?

Maybe you missed my point, parents organise their lives and working schedules around an assumption (entirely reasonable) that during school term their children will go to school and be taught.

If schools introduce additional days off because they don't want their staff to feel like they're missing out (by only getting 13 weeks of holiday in the year when everyone else gets approximately 34 days due to an additional bank holiday) then parents are forced to take a day of annual leave (the extra day that they'd gained from the bank holiday effectively) to coincide with the extra day the teachers have been granted.

Who'd have thought that as a teacher they might actually be expected to teach on a day that isn't a bank holiday instead of being given an extra day off... Really, should they be that surprised that people expect them to be teaching?

What is this world coming to? Parents having to make sacrifices for the sake of their own kids. They'll be expected to feed and clothe them next!:roll:

People expecting teachers to teach on what isn't a bank holiday during term time. What is the world coming to, next people will want them to only take 5 weeks holiday a year like the rest of the workforce :hihi:

People expecting teachers to teach on what isn't a bank holiday during term time. What is the world coming to, next people will want them to only take 5 weeks holiday a year like the rest of the workforce :hihi:

Firstly the OP doesn't make any reference to kids being taught, only to the inconvenience of having to make some adjustment to have them looked after. Secondly, your reference to the holidays is pure jealousy. Of course everyone would like 13 weeks holiday per year. Peronally I'm jealous of footballers. I'd love their lifestyle but I don't have the talent to be one. Why don't you become a teacher?