Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Is the Queens Jubilee an extra Bank Holiday or a Public Holiday?

Everyone is entitled to the extra day, Even if it becomes a day in Lue

End of the Day LOVE.... It's a school not free childcare... She is your daughter Deal with it:hihi:

Its a public holiday .

And not all are actually entitled to it as an extra day (it can be used by employers towards the 28 days total leave people are allowed).

Edited by pottedplant

Personally I feel that as school teachers or employees you are on a win win situation. 13 weeks holiday a year and then you say you have to work most of them and then expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you.......

The Dept for Education publishes statutory guidance about teacher hours/days/ training days etc. When an extra bank holiday such as the jubilee is announced, this guidance is updated to reflect the exta day. If a school is already closed, this would mean the day in effect falls elsewhere in the year.

Personally I feel that as school teachers or employees you are on a win win situation. 13 weeks holiday a year and then you say you have to work most of them and then expect the rest of us to feel sorry for you.......

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... sorry, did you say something?

Because the Spring Bank Holiday has been moved to June for the Queen's Jubilee, and this falls during half term, my daughter's teachers are taking a day off in July (handily the last day of the school year - Friday 20th July) as "Jubilee Pay Back day".

I'm really annoyed at this, they don't reclaim bank holidays which occur in other school holidays (Easter, New Year, August bank hol) and they have plenty of time off, all it's doing is causing working parents to have to tae yet more annual leave to cover what should be term-time, like the 5 training days a year aren't bad enough (that's a week of my precious annual leave gone just in training days!!).

Anyway - are any other schools in Sheffield doing this?? I asked my sister who is a teaching assistant down South, and her school aren't doing it, and even she thought it was ridiculous.

Can I have your opinions please?

You may find it hard to believe but many teachers are working parents too. When their children have a day off from school for the Jubilee and they teach in another school who are not having the same day off they CANNOT take a day's leave in term time to look after them.

Have your sister's LA changed the holidays so that the Jubilee is part of them? Or are they getting the original day off?

It has been explained in this thread more than once, teachers did not make the decision to take time off. You obviously have a gripe with teachers for some reason but you must realise that they do not decide when to take time off.

Not at all, several relatives of mine are teachers.

And I do realise that teachers didn't make the decision, but they are defending it by making comments about parents not wanting to have to care for their own children on what should be a school day.

I disagree had the additional day not been added parents would have used 4 days annual leave assuming they are not self employed so have some bank holiday entitlement for the Monday. They now get BH entitlement for 2 days so only need 3 days annual leave hence leaving the said 4th day available for use at a later date.

Except that the school have then decided for them which day that will be by closing on a random term time day.