Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Not a teacher but I will fight their corner.

When you go home after work at night, you go in, throw the kettle on, run a bath and get the vodka out, do teachers? No, they get in, plan lessons, mark work, prepare for the following day etc etc. Then they go to work and get abuse of kids (Secondry school teachers). Not a job that I would be in any rush to do.

I'll second that. Plus there are clubs and sports events out of normal working hours and at weekends.

Probably not, as he/she said it's the norm. They didn't say they worked it.

It isn't to far fetched though, I used to work between 14-18hrs 6 days a week when I was cheffing.

As I read it, he/she does work it so I guess we will just have to wait till he/she comes back and tells us.

He/she is a teacher and he/she stated that the norm for teachers working hours is 60 hours a week so why should anyone not think that he/she doesn't work those hours? :huh:

Edited by Skirmisher

Im sure some teachers wouldn't want to do my job, but there you have it.

People go into their carreers with their eyes open, they know the score and if their not happy to do the work, do something else.

I don't think anyone was saying teachers don't like their jobs. I think they were saying that everyone is bored stiff of the same old ill-informed "teachers have it easy, they finish work at 3.30 and have 13 weeks per year holiday". It's cliched, it's untrue and only serves to highlight the ignorance of the people who repeat it endlessly like parrots!

(And no, I'm not a teacher, but a lot of my friends are and I see how hard they work).

Woah there - I wanted to know if every school was having a day back for the Jubillee, that's all.

I DO still think it's cheeky though. I don't think teachers finish at 3.30 (neither do I, I work in a hospital). And I know they have stressful jobs (so do I, I work in a hospital....) but I do think that claiming "back" a bank holiday because it falls in a school holiday for once, is taking the p*ss. I just don't understand the justification for it.

I don't think anyone was saying teachers don't like their jobs. I think they were saying that everyone is bored stiff of the same old ill-informed "teachers have it easy, they finish work at 3.30 and have 13 weeks per year holiday". It's cliched, it's untrue and only serves to highlight the ignorance of the people who repeat it endlessly like parrots!

(And no, I'm not a teacher, but a lot of my friends are and I see how hard they work).

I can see why your not a teacher.

I don't see those "cliches" anywhere on here :huh:

Are you sure your replying to the right thread?

Woah there - I wanted to know if every school was having a day back for the Jubillee, that's all.

I DO still think it's cheeky though. I don't think teachers finish at 3.30 (neither do I, I work in a hospital). And I know they have stressful jobs (so do I, I work in a hospital....) but I do think that claiming "back" a bank holiday because it falls in a school holiday for once, is taking the p*ss. I just don't understand the justification for it.

No I agree with you, I can't see how it's justified but as already mentioned it's not going to be the teachers fault, these decisions are made way above their pay grade.

I can see why your not a teacher.

Can you really? How clever of you. I might not be a teacher but I do know the difference between "your" and "you're".

I don't see those "cliches" anywhere on here :huh:

Are you sure your replying to the right thread?

Well the OP did claim "they have plenty of time off". And the implication is that training days and this extra day off for the jubilee is somehow the fault of the teachers - as though they have any power over this, which they don't.

The children used to get 14 weeks of the year off. Now they only get 13. The other week was taken as training days for teachers and dotted through the year instead of being tagged onto the summer holiday. It is not an extra week off because they had it already.

As for the amount of time teachers have off....we don't. Working a 60 hour week is the norm, and working through most of the 'holidays' too. The children are off.....we are in, flexibly I admit, but we are working!

As to why I am replying during school hours....I don't work Friday's!

When did they get 14 weeks a year off? That must have been before I started school and that was quite some time ago now.

Not a teacher but I will fight their corner.

When you go home after work at night, you go in, throw the kettle on, run a bath and get the vodka out, do teachers? No, they get in, plan lessons, mark work, prepare for the following day etc etc. Then they go to work and get abuse of kids (Secondry school teachers). Not a job that I would be in any rush to do.

Is this related to the jubilee bank holiday somehow?