Local school and the Jubilee Bank Holiday

Except that the school have then decided for them which day that will be by closing on a random term time day.

Yes it does look like schools are choosing at random when they will close for the additional bank holiday however this isn't being done without sufficient notice.

I for one have been aware of planned school closure dates for this year since Christmas (school sent a note home as well as having full details on the website).

The original post said something about using extra leave etc and this being out of order (maybe not in those words) but as I said in an earlier post parents will have received an additional bank holiday for the Jubilee (how that is taken by the parent depends on their employer terms and conditions etc). Assuming most parents couples or single don't get 13 weeks worth of annual leave they will still have to make alternative childcare arrangements for the additional school holidays there child has.

Employees have been given an additional bank holiday this year so why should anyone miss out who wouldn't be at work on that day. I have no idea about teachers T&C however their place of employment is closed for 13 weeks per year so they can't go to work (to teach) even if they wanted to.

Giving notice doesn't alter that a parent will have to use a days annual leave or arrange childcare.

Ignoring stingy employers, everyone gains an extra day off, for many parents they would have been taking 4 days leave over that holiday anyway, with the extra BH they now only have to take 3.

But the day they've saved they now have to use on the day the school has decided to close. They don't loose the day off, but the school is dictating when it's taken effectively.

Re: teachers, the 13 weeks leave that they get includes pretty much every BH we have, why is it a surprise that it should include the extra one.

...but lets say that the local authority chose to have half term as the week before the Jubilee bank holiday - parents would need to find 5 days to look after their kids (or 5 days to pay for childcare). The Local authority have chosen however to make it so that parents only need 4 days to cover looking after their kids (3 days during half term and another day to be determined by the school) - that is good news isnt it? :D

Giving notice doesn't alter that a parent will have to use a days annual leave or arrange childcare.

It really does astonish me that parents have children, know they have a responsibility to look after them and then come on here time and again, moaning that school doesn't take them off their hands for every working day. Did none of them think this far ahead?

As I read it, he/she does work it so I guess we will just have to wait till he/she comes back and tells us.

He/she is a teacher and he/she stated that the norm for teachers working hours is 60 hours a week so why should anyone not think that he/she doesn't work those hours? :huh:

Even though I don't work in school on a Friday does not mean I don't do work on a Friday....and a Saturday.....and a Sunday!

:|

Would you care to explain why?

Maybe you missed my point, parents organise their lives and working schedules around an assumption (entirely reasonable) that during school term their children will go to school and be taught.

If schools introduce additional days off because they don't want their staff to feel like they're missing out (by only getting 13 weeks of holiday in the year when everyone else gets approximately 34 days due to an additional bank holiday) then parents are forced to take a day of annual leave (the extra day that they'd gained from the bank holiday effectively) to coincide with the extra day the teachers have been granted.

Who'd have thought that as a teacher they might actually be expected to teach on a day that isn't a bank holiday instead of being given an extra day off... Really, should they be that surprised that people expect them to be teaching?

I don't work in a school but I don't see why school based staff (teachers and support staff) should miss out on the extra bank Holiday

My bold below (from the direct.gov website) shows that the Government agree with me too...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Features/DG_WP200687

Bank holiday

The late May bank holiday has been moved to Monday 4 June 2012 and an additional Jubilee bank holiday will take place on Tuesday 5 June 2012.

The extra bank holiday and extended bank holiday weekend also applies to Scotland.

New bank holiday for Diamond Jubilee 2012 Bank holidays and British Summer Time (government, citizens and rights section) Holiday entitlements: the basics (employment section) School closures

Schools in England and Wales will be able to close on Tuesday 5 June 2012 for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

If a school is already closed on 5 June for half term or another reason, it will be able to close on a different day.

Scotland and Northern Ireland will be making their own arrangements.

It really does astonish me that parents have children, know they have a responsibility to look after them and then come on here time and again, moaning that school doesn't take them off their hands for every working day. Did none of them think this far ahead?

People just seem to enjoy complaining. They don't seem to realise that lots of teachers have children too and have to work on the days when their children have training days and this 'extra day off' may not be taken on the same day as their children's school.

Woah there - I wanted to know if every school was having a day back for the Jubillee, that's all.

I DO still think it's cheeky though. I don't think teachers finish at 3.30 (neither do I, I work in a hospital). And I know they have stressful jobs (so do I, I work in a hospital....) but I do think that claiming "back" a bank holiday because it falls in a school holiday for once, is taking the p*ss. I just don't understand the justification for it.

Do you work in a Hospital by any chance...?!?!?:confused: