Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

I can both side of the argument here. Since the r/a is traffic light controlled, the likelihood that a car going straight on from the LH lane would get in the way of a car filtering from the RH lane to exit at the M1 south is small.

The greater danger for me is that in turning right from the LH lane, you get in the way of traffic legitimately traveling to M1 south entry slip in the right hand lane.

The funny thing is, that if you follow the street view from here, keep an eye in the blue car in front of the black BMW and look how it cuts in here.

That exit can be really bad at peak times, people are queueing on the motorway to get up the sliproad while the left hand lane of the slip road is almost empty. It would make sense to widen the top into three lanes like they did at the end of the parkway.

That exit can be really bad at peak times, people are queueing on the motorway to get up the sliproad while the left hand lane of the slip road is almost empty. It would make sense to widen the top into three lanes like they did at the end of the parkway.
And I think that's why some people have taken to using the LH lane to go all the way around the roundabout to turn right down Parkway (not that I'm advocating that)

J36 northbound appears to have markings that actively encourage the use of the LH lane for right turners..

Where in the highway code does it state that a left hand lane is only for turning left?

UK Driving School is a blog for provisional licence holders learning to drive, with free articles, videos, news, tips & advice on how to pass the driving test. It is run by an independent approved ex AA franchised driving instructor offering cheap driving lessons in NW London.

3 or 4 Lane Roundabouts

The most important thing to bear in mind with multi-lane roundabouts is that you approach in the correct lane, and use the same lane throughout the roundabout until you are ready to exit, and give the appropriate signal to come off the roundabout.

Turning left at multi-lane roundabout

To turn left you will always approach in the left hand lane, and indicate left. If there are 2 lanes available to turn left, use the leftmost lane.

Following the road ahead at multi-lane roundabout

This is where things can be a little tricky. As you approach, you need to be looking out for signs either on the side or road markings to give you an indication of which lane to use. Usually you should be approaching in the left lane, and as you get closer you are scanning the road ahead not only for signs, but also for traffic to know if you would have to stop or not. You DO NOT need a signal on the approach if following the road ahead, but you do need to signal left as you go past the exit before the one you want, to let other users of the roundabout know what you are doing.

Turning right at multi-lane roundabout

If turning right you will need to use the right hand lane, and will be indicating right on approach to the roundabout. If the multi-lane roundabout has 4 lanes, there might be 2 lanes for turning right, in which case you should use the leftmost of the 2 (an example is shown in the accompanying multi-lane roundabout video, using Apex Corner). You should use the same lane on the roundabout until you are ready to exit, when you indicate left, and move across to the left lane (the video demonstrates this).

There aren’t many roundabouts in the states so we can forgive them for putting signs up to state the obvious but do we really need them .

UK Driving School is a blog for provisional licence holders learning to drive, with free articles, videos, news, tips & advice on how to pass the driving test. It is run by an independent approved ex AA franchised driving instructor offering cheap driving lessons in NW London.

3 or 4 Lane Roundabouts

The most important thing to bear in mind with multi-lane roundabouts is that you approach in the correct lane, and use the same lane throughout the roundabout until you are ready to exit, and give the appropriate signal to come off the roundabout.

Turning left at multi-lane roundabout

To turn left you will always approach in the left hand lane, and indicate left. If there are 2 lanes available to turn left, use the leftmost lane.

Following the road ahead at multi-lane roundabout

This is where things can be a little tricky. As you approach, you need to be looking out for signs either on the side or road markings to give you an indication of which lane to use. Usually you should be approaching in the left lane, and as you get closer you are scanning the road ahead not only for signs, but also for traffic to know if you would have to stop or not. You DO NOT need a signal on the approach if following the road ahead, but you do need to signal left as you go past the exit before the one you want, to let other users of the roundabout know what you are doing.

Turning right at multi-lane roundabout

If turning right you will need to use the right hand lane, and will be indicating right on approach to the roundabout. If the multi-lane roundabout has 4 lanes, there might be 2 lanes for turning right, in which case you should use the leftmost of the 2 (an example is shown in the accompanying multi-lane roundabout video, using Apex Corner). You should use the same lane on the roundabout until you are ready to exit, when you indicate left, and move across to the left lane (the video demonstrates this). [/Quote]

There aren’t many roundabouts in the states so we can forgive them for putting signs up to state the obvious but do we really need them .

Does this not back-up exactly what I said, or are we misunderstanding eachother? :huh:

J36 northbound appears to have markings that actively encourage the use of the LH lane for right turners..

Junction 36 is an odd one, because the A61 north, A6195 and A6135 are all on one side of the roundabout, and anyone wanting the A61 South from the northbound M1 would have been quicker to leave at J35A to begin with. Hardly anything ever turns left from that sliproad.

If you want Barnsley from J36 northbound, you do need to be in the left-hand lane, turn right, and that puts you in the left-hand lane at the next roundabout to turn left.

Which is exactly my point.

I take your point, but you don't actually see the centre-line markings on the roundabout until you're on the roundabout. So if the LH lane is intended to be left turn only, should it have markings and/or signs indicating that on the slip road approach?

If, for whatever reason, you'd left the motorway at this junction (and you didn't know the what the roundabout markings were) but wanted to rejoin it, which lane would you position yourself in at the top of the slip? It would be the LH lane for me.

True, that's what I'd do as well. The lane should really have an arrow for left only to make it safe.

Why queue in the right lane when the left is empty? I filter and use whichever lane is the quietest. If those who queue in the right lane ultimately went to be on the left lane on the Parkway they should stick the the left lane, why switch lanes on the roundabout?

Similarly on the Northbound slip road, both lanes can be used to enter the Parkway as it should/is on the Southbound one.

There's hardly any traffic going off the motorway into Rovrum, most of it is bound for Sheffield. Filter and spread out: initiative

Why queue in the right lane when the left is empty? I filter and use whichever lane is the quietest. If those who queue in the right lane ultimately went to be on the left lane on the Parkway they should stick the the left lane, why switch lanes on the roundabout?

Similarly on the Northbound slip road, both lanes can be used to enter the Parkway as it should/is on the Southbound one.

There's hardly any traffic going off the motorway into Rovrum, most of it is bound for Sheffield. Filter and spread out: initiative

The right lane is the correct lane to be in for the Parkway. Your "initiative" is down to your own impatience and disregard for other road users, nothing more.

Why queue in the right lane when the left is empty?

Because you are required to do so.

when you are at this roundabout http://maps.google.com/maps?q=m1+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.398889,-1.350996&spn=0,0.02105&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=33.322988,86.220703&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.398813,-1.351095&panoid=EzUB8PHaie7EBDyYBaDfJQ&cbp=12,35.83,,0,10.64 is the left lane on the slip road for going left only? And the right lane for going round the roundabout?

The reason I ask is I often see many people go up the left lane of the slip road(usually empty) and then carry on going around the roadabout. To me the floor marking suggest the left lane is for going left only?

Anyone care to clarify?

Regards

Edit: Infact the road markings suggest both left and right lane can go down Rother way and right lane can go around the round about?

I drive around there often, have done for 28 years but have never really taken notice of the lanes. Today I got off at Jn 33 southbound and you are correct, both lanes can turn left onto the Rotherway. If anyone went anywhere other than the Rotherway in the left hand lane they would have to cut over the other lanes of traffic to stay on the roundabout.

This roundabout is a problem.

Blackburn Road, coming onto the Tinsley viaduct.

Since they have redone the markings, no-one has a clue. The entry onto the roundabout has two lanes. The roundabout itself now has three lanes. The lines indicate that the left lane onto the roundabout leads into the nearside two lanes ON the r/about, signed Rotherham/Meadowhall/M1. The right hand lane leads into the far lane on the r/about signed Meadowhall/M1.

I have had so many near misses due to people in the right hand lane on the entry slip drifting into the middle lane on the roundabout. The lines are clear to understand, yet people fail to maintain correct lane discipline.

Edited by fozzybear210