TJ Hughes branch relocation MEGATHREAD

yes i prefer how it used to be, all the buldings still open that i've mentioned already, hole in the road still there, redgates, wedding cake register office, the walking man, orchard square (how it used to be) sad sad sad !

woah, hold on, at least two of the "structures" you mentioned were hideous, the city needs to move foreward not stay clinging to the past, look at how Birmingham regenerated the Bullring, I doubt you get many Brummies saying "I wish the bullring was like it used to be, a dangerous open-air toilet/dustbin", the problme is the council have demolished evrything in Sheffield and not replaced it with anything, do they care ? I doubt it, but THITR was a horrible/dreadfull/filthy, place you don't want that back.

woah, hold on, at least two of the "structures" you mentioned were hideous, the city needs to move foreward not stay clinging to the past, look at how Birmingham regenerated the Bullring, I doubt you get many Brummies saying "I wish the bullring was like it used to be, a dangerous open-air toilet/dustbin", the problme is the council have demolished evrything in Sheffield and not replaced it with anything, do they care ? I doubt it, but THITR was a horrible/dreadfull/filthy, place you don't want that back.

the hole in the road only got bad during its last 3 or 4 years, maybe i'm saying this in sentiment but thats just my opinion, just go to barkers pool to look at all the glass or the ugly city lofts - hardly iconic are they and nothing special

hardly iconic are they and nothing special

No, but wanting the hole in the road back is like wanting a huge wart putting back on your face because it gave it character.

Well you will keep voting a Labour council in, Blunkett spelled the demise of this once great city! like Hatton did in Liverpool...............once you get people of their ilk in charge,there's only one way you are heading!

You could take it even further, the three B's, Blunkett, Betts and Bower. did more harm between them to this city using left wing stupidity, than Hitler managed using bombs. :mad:

Major stores are going out of business everyday, when will this greed obssesed government realise that cuts do not bring you out of recession but actually spending money does.

The money they are collecting from these cuts will all be money they are throwing at greece to get them out of debt, forever thinking of other countries before our own.

I remember it as Rackhams when I moved to Sheffield in '81, maybe the House of Fraser after that ....?

Yep, bring back Rackhams!

as long as they bring back the bloke who played the piano too

Well you will keep voting a Labour council in, Blunkett spelled the demise of this once great city! like Hatton did in Liverpool...............once you get people of their ilk in charge,there's only one way you are heading!

i really don't think it would have made much difference who was voted in

It was Walshes before then

What is 'iconic' about the T J Hughes building?

It's not iconic in any known sense of the word. If you showed a picture of it to someone from outside of Sheffield they wouldn't have a clue what it was. In fact I bet if you showed a picture of the building to most Sheffield residents they would be pushed to place it.

Buildings in Sheffield that could be classed as iconic, meaning recognisable and representative of the city to people both from Sheffield and outside of Sheffield would be Hyde Park/Parkhill Flats and Meadowhall. There's others known to Sheffield residents, but I can't think of many Sheffield buildings that would be recognisable to non-Sheffielders.

Edited by Nagel

And it's not even a nice building, it's basically a giant lump of concrete.