TJ Hughes branch relocation MEGATHREAD

Well i live at Wybourn so town is 10 minutes walk max, but i don't bother, i'd rather drive to Meadowhall or Crystal Peaks, they are cleaner, it's more convenient, doesn't cost me a penny to park and they aren't full of "wot ya lookin at" chavs.

Each to their own i suppose.

Crystal Peaks is crap, I once went when they had the Cinema, went to see Dragonheart as I recall, cost me over £6 just for one ticket! I was like, "What the chuff?!", especially when back then I had to pay full Tram fares both ways.

Armchair chancellor, wasn't it the spend spend spend, i can't afford it but im still having it mentality that got us into this mess.

No, it was the banks that got us in to this mess lending virtual money to people who could never repay it. Many economists are critical or Osbourne's policies, the charity sector is dessimated and the banks are back in profit.

Whilst I am sad to see another store potentially closing and I do feel sorry for the staff, I just dont understand why people slag off town all the time.

There are plenty of nice parts. Its not all like the markets. Not every store in a poundland and not every cafe is a greggs.

I have a serious question - what actually do people want in an ideal world that would make Sheffield allegedly as good as Leeds or Manchester.

BE HONEST If we got a Harvey Nichols would people actually buy anything from it? Selfridges? A nice little independant boutique? Would we have dozens of people popping into the harvey nics bar for cocktails and a ladies lunch?

If we got a full service department store like a modern day Walshs with fancy goods, silver service restaurant and a live pianist every day how long do you think it would last in modern day Sheffield? Would all the yuppies flock to it to buy their expensive clothes and sit around having afternoon tea in the restaurant listening to the pianist?

The fact is shopping habits have changed thanks to superstores and internet shopping. Even in central london where the real money is, stores like Harrods, Selfridges, Liberty, Peter Jones, Fenwick etc are little more than celeb haunts who wouldn't know a quality garment from a primark special or tourist destinations showing off to bring the visitors in.

The city has to evolve somehow but it needs to be smart about it and not just copy what it sees in Leeds and Manchester. After all those redevelopments are coming up to 10 years or so now. There would be nothing worse than unvailing our newly transformed centre - only for it to already look out of date!

Just move the chavs on, that'd be a start, and the chuggers, reduce parking costs too, and make more available.

just going to town for a few new pairs of socks etc is a complete pain, might aswell just go to Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks or Matallan by the parkway, it's much less painless.

No, it was the banks that got us in to this mess lending virtual money to people who could never repay it. Many economists are critical or Osbourne's policies, the charity sector is decimated and the banks are back in profit.

Yes, the banks bear responsibility, but you have to accept that the idiots who borrowed money that they could never repay must bear equal responsibility.

Just move the chavs on, that'd be a start, and the chuggers, reduce parking costs too, and make more available.

just going to town for a few new pairs of socks etc is a complete pain, might aswell just go to Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks or Matallan by the parkway, it's much less painless.

I think the parking and the scum that hang around the market area etc are the real reason city center shopping is on it's backside. If the car parks were free i would guess we would double the amount of people currently using town.

I'm a Wybourn lad, as you know, so chavs are neither here no there to me, but why run the gauntlet if you can avoid the requests for a spare fag, a quid for bus fare etc etc when you can avoid the hassle by going elsewhere, plus the market area smells or raw sewage. :gag:

It's a god forsaken place and i've no clue why people would defend it.

It's crap, it stinks, and it should be ripped down.