TJ Hughes branch relocation MEGATHREAD

I can afford Meadowhall quite easily thanks, and have bought clothes and stuff from there many a time.

They why shop in the filthy cess pit of the town centre. ? :huh:

They why shop in the filthy cess pit of the town centre. ? :huh:

Because I can't always be bothered to go all the way to that big ol' shopping centre in S9? And prefer to shop in Town? And Town's not that bad actually, sure it's mucky, expensive and not as good as Meadowhall, but if everybody stopped going down Town, eventually all the shops would go under.

Because I can't always be bothered to go all the way to that big ol' shopping centre in S9? And prefer to shop in Town? And Town's not that bad actually, sure it's mucky, expensive and not as good as Meadowhall, but if everybody stopped going down Town, eventually all the shops would go under.

Town is much better for local shops than meadowhell, where the rents are too high.

Well i live at Wybourn so town is 10 minutes walk max, but i don't bother, i'd rather drive to Meadowhall or Crystal Peaks, they are cleaner, it's more convenient, doesn't cost me a penny to park and they aren't full of "wot ya lookin at" chavs.

Each to their own i suppose.

Well i live at Wybourn so town is 10 minutes walk max, but i don't bother, i'd rather drive to Meadowhall or Crystal Peaks, they are cleaner, it's more convenient, doesn't cost me a penny to park and they aren't full of "wot ya lookin at" chavs.

Each to their own i suppose.

Crystal Peaks is crap, I once went when they had the Cinema, went to see Dragonheart as I recall, cost me over £6 just for one ticket! I was like, "What the chuff?!", especially when back then I had to pay full Tram fares both ways.

So you paid £6 for a cinema ticket and that makes the entire complex crap? :loopy:

Cinemas are another place i wont go, you could catch anything from a cold to leprosy, plus they are full of annoying people.

Armchair chancellor, wasn't it the spend spend spend, i can't afford it but im still having it mentality that got us into this mess.

No, it was the banks that got us in to this mess lending virtual money to people who could never repay it. Many economists are critical or Osbourne's policies, the charity sector is dessimated and the banks are back in profit.

I think it used to be House of Fraser until around 12 years ago.

Before that it was Walsh's

Been there and done that. Pay attention.

Whilst I am sad to see another store potentially closing and I do feel sorry for the staff, I just dont understand why people slag off town all the time.

There are plenty of nice parts. Its not all like the markets. Not every store in a poundland and not every cafe is a greggs.

I have a serious question - what actually do people want in an ideal world that would make Sheffield allegedly as good as Leeds or Manchester.

BE HONEST If we got a Harvey Nichols would people actually buy anything from it? Selfridges? A nice little independant boutique? Would we have dozens of people popping into the harvey nics bar for cocktails and a ladies lunch?

If we got a full service department store like a modern day Walshs with fancy goods, silver service restaurant and a live pianist every day how long do you think it would last in modern day Sheffield? Would all the yuppies flock to it to buy their expensive clothes and sit around having afternoon tea in the restaurant listening to the pianist?

The fact is shopping habits have changed thanks to superstores and internet shopping. Even in central london where the real money is, stores like Harrods, Selfridges, Liberty, Peter Jones, Fenwick etc are little more than celeb haunts who wouldn't know a quality garment from a primark special or tourist destinations showing off to bring the visitors in.

The city has to evolve somehow but it needs to be smart about it and not just copy what it sees in Leeds and Manchester. After all those redevelopments are coming up to 10 years or so now. There would be nothing worse than unvailing our newly transformed centre - only for it to already look out of date!

Just move the chavs on, that'd be a start, and the chuggers, reduce parking costs too, and make more available.

just going to town for a few new pairs of socks etc is a complete pain, might aswell just go to Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks or Matallan by the parkway, it's much less painless.

No, it was the banks that got us in to this mess lending virtual money to people who could never repay it. Many economists are critical or Osbourne's policies, the charity sector is decimated and the banks are back in profit.

Yes, the banks bear responsibility, but you have to accept that the idiots who borrowed money that they could never repay must bear equal responsibility.