'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

PT Are you a coded welder from Darlington ( where they hung the monkey ) It's just that you sound familiar.

lol, no, never been a welder. I've only been to darlington once, for the football match I just have a couple of makkam friends who use the vernacular. :)

(and it was Hartlepool that were the monkey-hangers, ;) )

PT new to this IT mullarkey so not sure if the pink bit at the end of your posts is a tag line or a signature....but I think I heard on the news last week that sadly polly styrene has departed this life, tributes in the NME.

ps

I'd like an avatar and one of those pink bits. You seem to know your way around a laptop can you help.

Best wishes

Shooter

lol, no, never been a welder. I've only been to darlington once, for the football match I just have a couple of makkam friends who use the vernacular. :)

(and it was Hartlepool that were the monkey-hangers, ;) )

S**t how could I forget it was Hartlepool.......early onset senile backbencher..... put a bridge up over the Severn with lads from Hartlepool in the early seventies and it's not fallen down yet! ( drove over it last year with my fingers crossed ) Regards Shooter

Edited by shooter
cock up

Usually caused by the 'wellie tops' rubbing against the backs of your legs.:(

Now that wer wellie rash. Chaps wer in between yer thighs when cold an wet in 't winter when yer wer wearin shorts.

PT new to this IT mullarkey so not sure if the pink bit at the end of your posts is a tag line or a signature....but I think I heard on the news last week that sadly polly styrene has departed this life, tributes in the NME.

ps

I'd like an avatar and one of those pink bits. You seem to know your way around a laptop can you help.

Best wishes

Shooter

to add an avatar, go to control panel

(<<<< over there <<<<< )and select avatar, add the link to your picture (has to be no bigger than 50x50) and you should be okay.

for the sig line (like my pink comment) again go to the control panel, select edit signature, and add your witty comment or slogan, and choose the colour you want it in. sorted.

What about "gerrin a scutch", and did any body ever give you" Indian burn " at school ?

Has anyone mentioned "Just follow thee nooes" when directing someone to go straight on? Many of these old sayings have brought back fond memories - my Grandad always used to say "Gooin tut feeast"? when we were off to the fair and Grandma always "Went for the rations" when going shopping.

One of his favorite sayings if he thought someone was a bit "Iffy" was "Ah wunt touch im we a Barge pole "...

Edited by grinder

Aitch, aitch !!!

We din't use dem, in fact if da said arsabartthathen, da must cum from Totley ..

Weer ah cum from it's arsabartdatden..

da duz reight: Purrin 'im in iz place!

If de wur any aiches ded be Haiches, wunt de?

One o' my fayvrorits is:..............'ee were that tight 'ee cudd rooar art o' one eye !

Or: 'ee were that tight 'ee 'e wakkens in t' neet ta see if 'es lost any sleep:

Or:'ee were that tight 'ee sucks crisps:

Or: tighter than a mouses earoil:

Dey musto' bin a lot o' tight Bast&^%s in them days cos de were lotsa good sayinz abaart em!

cudd rooar art o' one eye !

hiya ,or lyk a caar wit dooers oppen

Or: He looks like t'F A cup !

That was one of my Grandad's comments. (but said more "If Tha can't feyt, wear a big 'at!")

I think we both ad t'same Grandad !

Did 'e orlas ave a booan in his aarm anall ?

Or did e say, "Wen Nelson gets iz eye back ?"

Not a saying this.

But when we went to buy our first car I remember my Grandfather walking around it and kicking every Tyre ?

What was that all about !!![/QU

hiya grinder

kicking a fully blown up tyre gives a different sound to one thats lost some air, what about on the railways you would see a man hitting the wheels with a long shafted metal hammer, and i remember my nan having a book of train times for all the country,it was pretty thick, it had every station where trains stopped,this was used i think before, during the war and after as well,as my uncle used it when he was on leave.

also around our way women sitting on the bedroom, and attic window sills cleaning the outside windows, also the man coming round to paint your door numbers for a threpny bit, or a tanner.

If you kick the tyre and you hear a "clunk" it means the wheel bearing is shot :