'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

Kit!

One I never got as a kid back in the days" When men were men and women were glad on it " was.

"If you can't fight wear a big hat" .......?:huh:

That was one of my Grandad's comments. (but said more "If Tha can't feyt, wear a big 'at!")

One I never got as a kid back in the days" When men were men and women were glad on it " was.

"If you can't fight wear a big hat" .......?:huh:

My grandfather used to say it and, when asked he gave this meaning, don't know if it's true 'cus he had a saying/meaning for everything:

In the New Testament, Matthew 1, Job begat Jobe, Jobe begat Ishmael, Ishmael begat Simon, everybody seems to begatting, so, if you can`t fight wear a big hat.

Probably totally wrong but, it shut me up as an enquiring kid!

My granddad also liked to make his own version of the odd Bible quote, though I can't remember him ever going to Church.

Apart from the aforementioned, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" which apparently only worked one way, in his favor.

He also had such classic as..

"Seek and thou shall find", if I asked were some thing was.

"Cast not peals before swine" if you didn't get one of his jokes,

and of course the classic " Do unto others as they would do unto thee, but do it first"...

Edited by grinder

My granddad also liked to make his own version of the odd Bible quote, though I can't remember him ever going to Church.

Apart from the aforementioned, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" which apparently only worked one way, in his favor.

He also had such classic as..

"Seek and thou shall find", if I asked were some thing was.

"Cast not peals before swine" if you didn't get one of his jokes,

and of course the classic " Do unto others as they would do unto thee, but do it first"...

My granddad used to go to church where they had prayer books wi handles on 'em (pint pots!)

I was at my Grams at teatime once, and as she was pouring the tea, the handle snapped off, tea allorrt place. She stared at the handle in her hand and pronounced "Its never dun that affoor".

I was at my Grams at teatime once, and as she was pouring the tea, the handle snapped off, tea allorrt place. She stared at the handle in her hand and pronounced "Its never dun that affoor".

:hihi::hihi::hihi:thas gora laff ant tha.