'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

Kit!

I have never worked out why a mantle piece was a 'cornish', and why did they refer to the lounge as 't'house'. Can't remember much more, but will work on it.

hiya crookesey,the reference to intharse was i think used for any living room, the only one i remember was when anybody had a front room which was hardly used which we hadn't got, the other was called a cornice that was changed to cornish along the way i also remember my grans cornish shelf there was an hidden shelf under the little curtain around the shelf it was a thickley woven material with tassels hanging down from it .i remember another it was landsettle what was it ? remember tuesday was weshday at our house, there was the tub,posher,rubbing board,oxydol, big block of fairy soap, and not to forget the wringer with the big wooden rollers and the handwheel and gears,i was not allowed within 3ft of it when it was being used,.

Edited by willybite

I have never worked out why a mantle piece was a 'cornish'...
According to the Oxford English Dictionary it is indeed a variant of "cornice", and this web page in defining "cornice glass" refers to a "mantelpiece, also known as 'cornish' in South Yorkshire". Edited by hillsbro

hiya crookesey,the reference to intharse was i think used for any living room, the only one i remember was when anybody had a front room which was hardly used which we hadn't got, the other was called a cornice that was changed to cornish along the way.i remember another it was landsettle what was it ? remember tuesday was weshday at our house, there was the tub,posher,rubbing board,oxydol, big block of fairy soap, and not to forget the wringer with the big wooden rollers and the handwheel and gears,i was not allowed within 3ft of it when it was being used,.

my mum allways used to say she was going to posh us,it prob meant she was going to give us a hinding.

Not a saying this.

But when we went to buy our first car I remember my Grandfather walking around it and kicking every Tyre ?

What was that all about !!![/QU

hiya grinder

kicking a fully blown up tyre gives a different sound to one thats lost some air, what about on the railways you would see a man hitting the wheels with a long shafted metal hammer, and i remember my nan having a book of train times for all the country,it was pretty thick, it had every station where trains stopped,this was used i think before, during the war and after as well,as my uncle used it when he was on leave.

also around our way women sitting on the bedroom, and attic window sills cleaning the outside windows, also the man coming round to paint your door numbers for a threpny bit, or a tanner.

Edited by willybite

my mum allways used to say she was going to posh us,it prob meant she was going to give us a hinding.

I think the term came from the "posher" which they used for washing with in a "dolly tub".

The posher was a copper turned disc with holes in which the water passed through as the posher was forced down into the washing in the dolly tub, a sort of agitator.