'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

Kit!

Also, ' down there for dancing'. When dad said something profound, that no one else had thought about, i.e. you used your brain (up there- for thinking and your feet for dancing).

Up 'ere for thinkin', down theer for dancin' and in the middle for diddle". Usually said with a shake of the hips. Always makes me laugh :hihi:

If he didn't like my haircut he'd to say it looked a bugger....

hiya grinder whenever i read your letters they bring back a sheffiedism like seeing bugger, i remember buggerlugs, and bonce, and bonce cover,stop scrachin de scope wiltha wots up as tha got nits, stop pickin de nooers thal hav the brains cum darrn, remember the balaclarva,or the american pilots helmet with the round plastic ear pieces, my mum got me one it was like a russian one, bless her, remember two toned shirts like cowboys wore, roy, and gene and tex, and the spearpoint collars, and d.a haircut, 1951/2 that was when my teacher asked me what it was called and when i said d.a he asked me what that stood for so we said district attourney,wype the nooers,norron de sleeav ider.

Hiya willybite.

Loved them two toned cowboy shirts with different coloured top halves separated by frills across the chest.

Remember black jeans with green stitching, and those green or pink fluorescent socks, a mate of mine loved them.:roll:

As a kid I was posh, didn't have a balaclava I had a commando woolly hat, it looked like I had a square tea Cosy on my head in air force blue..:suspect:

By, but I did look a little Bobby dazzler...:hihi:

one of my faves is "well it needs a good fettlin", anyone older than me (51) who knows what this means, i would be really grateful

it needs fettlin means it needs mending.

No, fettling is similar to "Bottoming" which is accepted as being a blooming good cleaning.

No, fettling is similar to "Bottoming" which is accepted as being a blooming good cleaning.

Foudrys have Fettling shops where they grind off any fashers and knobbly bits on the castings or "Clean them up" as they say ....

Edited by grinder