'What were they on about?' What Grandparents from Sheffield used to say.

Kit!

I have fond memories of my great-grandmother Elizabeth Whittles with her broad local accent and her many dialect expressions, some very local and some more widely used. When for example I had a new coat etc., then apart from saying it was a "Bobby dazzler" (as mentioned earlier in the thread) she might say "That'll keep t' dust out of your eye corners". A bowl of hot soup, hash etc. would "warm t'cockles o' your heart". If we asked what was for tea, she would reply "pickled herring feet and bow-legged chicklings". When asked about getting older, she would say "We'll live till we dee, else t'dogs worry us". And of course, if you asked her age she would say "I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth". She lived to be 93, bless her, and is still probably talking Broad Yorkshire in the Great Beyond...:)

My grandad used to say "Ill gu t me breakfast can bottom", meaning he will drink all his cold tea when dowtpit. As mentioned earlier, miss him and his sayings. "Never mek owt wile is got anoyle in inisarse", was another, footballers, politicians all came under fire.

" She's got a gob like a parish oven " ?

hiya just had a laugh, my brother in law has come home for a holiday from america, although he has lived over there for over 35 years he hasn't lost his sheffiield manarisms and only this afternoon he commented that the sheffield isms has all but been lost, but i put him on the right track telling him about s/f so with a bit of luck he'll take it back with him when he goes back home.

ps it will help his american wife anall eh, as she still dunt unerstand him when he sometimes says things from 60 years ago he had 18 years in the park district as his dad and gdad were park lads also.

going back to your letter brings back some more sayings i remember,

another was thar a reight mouth organ, and thar a gob sxxte, and that mouthall mighty, let dog seet rabbit, as he gone bald ? there's as much hair on a billiard ball , nar a ask the dus tha think its reight all dis palarva, dunta gerrit, dusta gerrit, ava sed it reight. neyow dy ant

willybrite, buy her that small book, Sheffieldish, a beginners guide, by Derek Whomersley. Cant think who would stock it, try central library, always helpful, them. My daughters fiance p...ed himself at our lingo, poor lad, from Plymouth.