Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

We are staying in a city center hotel but i suppose anywhere in Sheffield is worth a try , we did eat at Aagrah a few years ago and enjoyed it but thought it worth asking as restaurants tend to fall out of favour over time.

Shapla is always reliable.

Never really fancied the idea of Akbars, although I'd like to try it as I've hread good reports about the food, apparently if I'm right you can't bok a table - it's on a come in and see basis, which puts me off going. Don't want to get there and find I have to wait until a table becomes free. Otherwise I'd be there like a shot. Unless I'm wrong on this but that'swhat I've been told.
I've been there a few times never waited yet Fridays or Saturday nights

Arooj has finally reopened between Xmas and New year, on the road between Saville Street and Attercliffe. £9.99, eat as much as you want (including desserts), 5-10pm every night.

Well worth the money. Proper on the bone curries, plenty of starters and mains to choose from.

Went earlier this week and it was full of Asian people, which is always a good sign in my opinion, they wouldnt be going if it was rubbish.

Yeah, you can rely on it being very average...

Yeah, you can rely on it being very average...

In your opinion.

The new Indian /Fusion restaurant on Fulwood Road, called Lavang is worth a try, especially for those who frequented The House of Spice on Ecclesall Road before it closed last year, and are looking for a 'fix'.

The fusion part of the menu is obviously the brainchild of the chef/ part owner, who, going on his name doesn't appear to be Asian (per their own Website) but is in fact Asian. These items are exactly what it says on the tin. Interesting mixes of ideas, all pretty much acceptable, and presented very artistically.

BUT if you're into the traditional/classical items, these are very similar in style to the old House of Spice style, and are very good indeed. Freshly made and tasty, not full of oil and all one colour that you can't tell the difference in dishes, like other Sheffield Indian/Pakistan restaurants I could mention.

The new Asian partners at front of house were obsequious to a fault, putting Uriah Heap to shame. Quite comical really, but well meant. Eager newbie's I suppose. Lovely. When one partner tried to tell us that squid was seafood, we had all on stopping ourselves cracking up. Assuming your customers are idiots - not a good move. He was like an excitable puppy - bless. Still, he could have done or said anything and we'd have gone back there again.

The only downside was the other customers for the early sitting. All tree-hugger types, wearing clean walking/hiking gear including lumberjack shirts socially, with unruly wind-blown grey hair. Nothing against that in a country pub, but c'mon guys - in a slick looking new restaurant? Have some decorum, please. We felt overdressed just because we'd showered and changed before we went! Felt really sorry for the suited owners trying to keep up the quality appearance of the place. No early bird offers, so it wasn't that dragging them in. Some folk have no sense of occasion.

Can recommend it, although not yet had all items on the menu.

Edited by Jeddo

Agreed, although I got the wrong curry on collection last time... Not what I ordered!

Most of you are wrong I'm afraid. There are very few "Pakistani" or "Indian" restaurants in Sheffield. They are mostly "Bangladeshi" - which was once called "East Pakistan" of course.

The Pakistani ones tend to be the best.

For South Indian you've got Maveli's, Arusuvai and East West. The latter a take-away.

Yes, there's not much choice. But North Indian cuisine is better anyway.

For South Indian you've got Maveli's, Arusuvai and East West. The latter a take-away.

Yes, there's not much choice.

Plus Two States in Hillsborough.

when you thinking of going ? red sea Muslim café on Ellesmere Rd Burngreava but only open in day time proper Good *****

I love the food from Jumeirah but find the customer service poor. Just little things like if the bill tots up to 20p short of the minimum spend for delivery they won't be flexible and you have to order something else to get it over. Also they wouldn't deliver if I couldn't give them the post code- I explained I lived further up on the same street as the restaurant but that didn't wash :hihi:

So you just had to order a pappadom and know your post code, but you couldn't do it eh? :suspect:

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 21:04 ----------

Plus Two States in Hillsborough.

Didn't know about that one. Thanks. Any good?

I used to live just along the road from the Jumeriah. Went in a few times and liked the meals (not a fan of the buffet stuff) but it seemed a bit too close for me - which is daft really!

Went to Flouch Balti again last week - my definite new favourite. It's fantastic

Gutted to hear Flouch Balti has closed down, last night was its final one.