See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

It's definately not York Minster because the cooling towers at the front and their size in relation to what is claimed to be York Minister at the rear, looks to be around a distance of 1/2 to 1 mile in distance. Also I would expect the curvature of the Earth to come into play at some point and despite the hills around Sheffield I suspect they are not high enough to offset the difference

Couple of things..

I,d make stanage pole. somewhat south of Holly House.

Theres also a topograph at the hairpin bend. On jawbone hill...obs. west facing.

I believe. If you stand at the tideline and are average height,the distance to horizon is about3and a half miles.

Once whilst staying on n.wales coast at about 600ft, on a day of exceptional visability...could see isle. Of man very clearly indeed.Thats about 75miles.Granted its an island not. a building.

I wonder with a decent telescope from greno,what the possible furthest built object might be sighted.

Top of holly house lane used to go bySt Helllena,by locals..and an old tale wasyou could see blackpool tower from there..

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:49 ----------

Hooked now...

It seems the longest uk one is Merrick,in galloway to Snowdons summit. a whopping 144miles.

Edited by butlers
wrong direction

The distance to the horizon in miles is approximately the square root of the height in feet above sea level.

It's definately not York Minster because the cooling towers at the front and their size in relation to what is claimed to be York Minister at the rear, looks to be around a distance of 1/2 to 1 mile in distance. Also I would expect the curvature of the Earth to come into play at some point and despite the hills around Sheffield I suspect they are not high enough to offset the difference
Might look like a couple of miles but that's the effect of a zoom lense. IMBW but think standing on a beach the horizon is 21 miles away. This increases somewhat as you increase in height.

Selby Abbey will be just to the left of Eggborough from the same viewpoint.

Location of York Minster is N 53° 57.717 W 001° 04.917

Edited by mike142sl

Might look like a couple of miles but that's the effect of a zoom lense. IMBW but think standing on a beach the horizon is 21 miles away. This increases somewhat as you increase in height.

Selby Abbey will be just to the left of Eggborough from the same viewpoint.

Location of York Minster is N 53° 57.717 W 001° 04.917

Hi Mecky,

1. Issue of size of cooling tower and Minster in relation. York Minster is about 20 miles from Ferrybridge, not 1 - 1 1/2 miles. As Mike says, when looking through a telescope into the distance, landscape features appear to be much closer together than they would without a telescope in terms of distance from the viewer.

Also, I took the photographs in the evening - you can see the sun light shining on the eastern faces. Within the space of about 30 minutes the width of the cooling tower increased noticeably.

I would have found this odd had I not read this a few weeks earlier: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/gallery/alps/wendelstein.html and seen what 12 minutes can do. This is known as Refraction and was impressive. The size/width of the cooling tower is therefore innaccurate as relative measure over this distance at this time of the day.

2. Curvature of the earth - at 230 feet the curvature is easily overcome for the upper half of the structure.

3. Dick: "Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!". William Turner might disagree (painting aspect is from the north). http://www.william-turner.org/On-the-River-Ouse,-with-a-view-of-York-Minster-in-the-distance.jpg

It looks exactly like York Minster. Also http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/176459/1/Cattle-In-Water-Meadows-With-York-Minster-In-The-Distance.jpg.

I am sure there are other photos of the correct aspect.

PS love this site: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html

Edited by Oingo

Ey up, so York Minster is actually behind the cooling tower, but we can see it as a result of refraction ;) just like a sunset.

Hi Mike,

No, York Minster isn’t behind the cooling tower in the previous photographs and is not visible because of refraction. It is in plain and direct line of sight on those images.

An update: I ambled up to outside The Ridge (S10) yesterday and took a look northwards. Using an Iphone held against the eyepiece of 10x binoculars (rather wobbly!) I captured the attached. York Minster was lit up beautifully in the afternoon sun as can be seen between the two right-hand cooling towers. Note – these picture are taken from a different viewpoint to those previously taken, hence the Minster shows up in between (rather than to the right of) the cooling towers.

Between the Minster’s Lantern Tower and the west towers you can see land in the background which must be 60-70 miles distant from the viewpoint.

Hoping that you enjoy these.

1st picture: not enhanced. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764016

2nd picture: Same image but with increased contrast and lighting enhanced. No other tinkerage carried out. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764031

Edited by Oingo

Hi Mike,

No, York Minster isn’t behind the cooling tower in the previous photographs and is not visible because of refraction. It is in plain and direct line of sight on those images.

An update: I ambled up to outside The Ridge (S10) yesterday and took a look northwards. Using an Iphone held against the eyepiece of 10x binoculars (rather wobbly!) I captured the attached. York Minster was lit up beautifully in the afternoon sun as can be seen between the two right-hand cooling towers. Note – these picture are taken from a different viewpoint to those previously taken, hence the Minster shows up in between (rather than to the right of) the cooling towers.

Between the Minster’s Lantern Tower and the west towers you can see land in the background which must be 60-70 miles distant from the viewpoint.

Hoping that you enjoy these.

1st picture: not enhanced. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764016

2nd picture: Same image but with increased contrast and lighting enhanced. No other tinkerage carried out. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764031

We were up there at that time yesterday. Some sight the 3 power stations letting off steam. Reminded me of the Iraqi oil wells!

I bet you can see it from onesmoor rd on kirk edge area just up from high bradfield.. I can always see a few power stations and emely moor tv mast.

There are also some features highlighted to the right of the pylon (post 92).

Yes was commenting to a friend yesterday that Oneacre and Onesmoor would be excellent viewing points.

I think that the feature lit up to the right might be Monks Cross shopping centre plus attached industrial estate, a few miles north of the Minster. This is just to the right in terms of viewpoint, and at about the same distance give or take. It would make sense as there is no other large none green blot that is as wide and would light up so well.

If you look carefully between the towers on the Minster you can see land behind the Minster. I think that this is likely to be the Howardian Hills some 57 miles from the viewpoint (at a point just beyond and to the left of Ganthorpe). They are about 80-100m ASL at the point we are looking, compared to York Minster Lantern Tower's 25m ASL+ 60m = 85m ASL tower so would tally. I don't think that we are looking as far as the North York Moors around Pickering (or more precisely would be the village of Stape and surrounds as is in an absolute direct line). Hills near Stape reach up to 264m ASL but I think are too far distant (approx 73 miles) to be the observed land. Also, on the basis of Earth's curvature (6 feet drop per 9 miles) the North York Moors would, if visible, appear far higher than the Minster from the viewpoint.

Edited by Oingo