See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Well, as far as I'm aware on a clear day you can see York Minster from Lincoln Cathedral (correct me if I'm wrong), so in theory it should be able to be seen from Sheffield, shouldn't it?

As a geometric problem in theory, that doesn't necessarily follow. If the top of Lincoln Cathedral is higher than the standpoint in Ringinglow, then York Minster would be visible from the former but not the latter.

In the real world, I don't know which of the two is the higher point. The hill on which Lincoln Cathedral is built is not nearly as high as Ringinglow; but it's a tall building.

As a geometric problem in theory, that doesn't necessarily follow. If the top of Lincoln Cathedral is higher than the standpoint in Ringinglow, then York Minster would be visible from the former but not the latter.

In the real world, I don't know which of the two is the higher point. The hill on which Lincoln Cathedral is built is not nearly as high as Ringinglow; but it's a tall building.

The top of Lincoln Cathedral is 148m above sea level (the height you can get to to look out towards York will be quite a few metres lower of course) The best view of all this area from Ringinglowe is from Rud Hill which is 425m ASL, although if you are just sitting in the car the lay bye is 414m ASL, so a good 260m higher than Lincoln Cathedral (Which incidentally you can also see from Rud Hill).

Off Fulwood Lane which runs from the roundhouse at Ringinglow down towards Redmires.

You will see a gate and a path which leads up to some green box which I think is owned by Yorkshire Water. Travelling towards Redmires it is on your left right at the very end just before a hairpin bend.

There is a large private gateway prior to this, leading to a farm.

Hope this helps!

These photos are taken from the site of your original post although it was a little hazy on the summer's day I took it but you can still see the power stations in the distance. Click on the photo to view large.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809720

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809466

I would also say the single one (720 pic) is drax. If you look at the foreground, it is lined up past that monument or whatever at rawmarsh and to the right is Kepples. Ferrybridge is more to the north, whereas drax is NE.

The second picture I believe shows West Burton at Gainsboro' and Cottam to the right, both on the Trent.

Edited by FORE

Good morning and thanks for your reply

Will make an effort to go up there when the weather appears favourable for looking east.

Off Fulwood Lane which runs from the roundhouse at Ringinglow down towards Redmires.

You will see a gate and a path which leads up to some green box which I think is owned by Yorkshire Water. Travelling towards Redmires it is on your left right at the very end just before a hairpin bend.

There is a large private gateway prior to this, leading to a farm.

Hope this helps!

Good morning and thanks for your reply

Will make an effort to go up there when the weather appears favourable for looking east.

You need a cold clear day rather than a warm day because the heat haze blocks out the clarity.

You need a cold clear day rather than a warm day because the heat haze blocks out the clarity.

You need a day like today.

Where exactly is Rud Hill please ?

You can park here and take the gate on the left. Rudd Hill is the horizon and there are remains of some small building on the summit. The path from here can get a bit muddy though.

The other alternative is the path that Ousetunes has suggested here

Hope these links work?

Edited by mike142sl

Just returned from a walk up Rud Hill.

The fields are very firm, proof of the recent lack of rain. I only wore trainers but otherwise boots are a must-have!

I took the old binoculars but it's simply too hazy this morning for decent view spotting. Humber Bridge was very difficult to make out although I believe I did manage to find it. Just two very distant, hazy 'sticks'!

Lincoln Cathedral, usually easy to find with the naked eye proved even more difficult.

But the light can change so rapidly and all of a sudden these land marks can appear. A return on a clear evening is required.

i know you can get a good view from the top of delf rd/ kirk edge rd area and along mortimer rd. i know you can see loads of power stations and emily moor mast quite easily. does any expert on this area know what else is on the horizon?? :thumbsup:

i know you can get a good view from the top of delf rd/ kirk edge rd area and along mortimer rd. i know you can see loads of power stations and emily moor mast quite easily. does any expert on this area know what else is on the horizon?? :thumbsup:
:hihi: Think you mean Emley Moor?