See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

You've revived an old thread here!

The White Horse at Kilburn, which is further than York is visible and when the light allows, I'm fairly sure Humber Bridge is visible. In fact, I think you can see the latter from the Sportsman pub at Hallam (albeit, the tops of the towers).

I wonder if York Minster lies too low to be seen?

Maybe I should invest in some decent binoculars and set aside a good hour to nail precisely what can and cannot be seen from up here.

These photos are taken from the site of your original post although it was a little hazy on the summer's day I took it but you can still see the power stations in the distance. Click on the photo to view large.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809720

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809466

Anyone got a working link for the Power Station map on the first page?

Would like to know which is which next time I'm walking the dog up around Edgemount.

Thanks for the pictures six45ive.

I wonder if the power station in the top picture is Drax?

In the Yorkshire region, you can see (from left to right) Ferrybridge (8 cooling towers), Eggborough (also 8 cooling towers although from our vantage point possibly only 4 are visible with the other 4 hidden behind them) and then Drax (two circular clusters of 4 cooling towers).

These power stations are approximately 4 miles apart from each other. They lie just the other side of the M62 (well, Eggborough and Drax do).

Thanks Ousetunes, but last time I was out there I'm sure I saw 6 or so power stations (or at least clusters of cooling towers), presumably with the last 3 further south. The most southerly ones I can sometimes see on my drive to/from work on the Owler Bar/Stony Ridge road.

This thread tells you all you need to know about the power stations you can see.

Sadly though the pictures seem to have been taken away now.

Thanks for the pictures six45ive.

I wonder if the power station in the top picture is Drax?

Yes I agree.

I think Drax is much further north. I think it's probably Ferrybridge but I'm not certain.

everytime i go over grenoside i have a look for the cooling towers on the horizon,

from the emley moor tx,turn to the right .. ferrybridge .. eggbrough .. drax (both sort of next to each other) barnby dun,

turn futher to the right .. west burton .. cottom .. upper marnham (iirc)

i know from google earth where the humber bridge should be .. but ive yet to see it even on a good day (maybe im not shure what it looks like ?)

JJ..

Yes I agree.

I think Drax is much further north. I think it's probably Ferrybridge but I'm not certain.

Ferrybridge has eight towers (according to wikipedia) but I'm pretty sure I can see eleven distinctly in the photo, and the layout matches the two circles of six towers at Drax.

Vince

When me and The White Rose were courting, I used to go sit in the field at the top of the hill near my home in Pudsey (near Leeds), and I could see Emley Moor TV mast. She used to be able to see it from Ringinglow too. It was the only thing we could both see at the same time. Kind of romantic, I thought.

Anyone got a working link for the Power Station map on the first page?

Would like to know which is which next time I'm walking the dog up around Edgemount.

It's not the best map I've ever seen, but at least this link http://www.ukqaa.org.uk/PowerStation.html shows where the power stations are.

Very interesting thread - I only live a few mins away from this location but had never heard of it before, or the ability to see so far in good conditions. Like other posters, I will enjoy walking up there with a pair of binoculars next year when there is good visibility (and it's a bit warmer !!).

Your contributions are interesting. Im off now to view those visible from Hillsborough golf course when approaching the 8th green :)

I know this is an old thread bumped by the poster above, but since it's back now, I'm pretty confident me and my friends did manage to spot York Minster last summer; another group there at the time agreed with us. It was only really a hazy York-Minster coloured blob! albeit in just the right direction.

We couldn't see the Humber Bridge..