See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

York Minster?

With the cooling towers in the pic, could it not. Be Selby Abbey? The direction is nigh on exactly theYork bearing.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:03 ----------

On clear days the dock cranes at Goole are visable. by eye from Woodhead Road, above grenoside.Its about 1000hft, with grreat line of sight,east and north

Hi Mecky,

Butlers might be right - Selby Abbey maybe? I will look into it.

In terms of my thoughts on it being York Minster:

1. Match: Look at a picture of the Minster, plus the aspect from the south.

2. Match: Range and bearing make total sense, as does exact position in relation to Ferrybridge. If you would like to check yourself: take a look on google earth, plot the location (top of Hangram Lane) against York Minster using the "show ruler" function.

3. There are no other massive structures at that approximate range that look similar to York Minster - OTHER THAN SELBY ABBEY - THanks Butlers - Will look into this as tehre is a chance it could be... Watch this space.

Hills around Sheffield don't impede upon this view, as shown in the photograph.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:51 ----------

York Minster?

With the cooling towers in the pic, could it not. Be Selby Abbey? The direction is nigh on exactly theYork bearing.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:03 ----------

On clear days the dock cranes at Goole are visable. by eye from Woodhead Road, above grenoside.Its about 1000hft, with grreat line of sight,east and north

Yes worth looking at, especially as Eggborough would block Selby as Ferrybridge does York Minster. Will look at this. Thanks

Edited by Oingo

Thanks for your interest, I uploaded another photograph as for a second there I wondered whether maybe this was Selby Abbey and perhaps we had snapped it though the towers of Eggborough.

Please to report that the picture is indeed the Minster. I have a zoomed out image of more of the power station and can see two tall towers (which Ferrybridge has but Eggborough doesn't - only has one). THe image can be seen here.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3595524

Next item to hunt is Selby Abbey! :hihi:

On. a closer look the minsters two towers are a lot blocky,so. you are right.

Regarding dock cranes at Goole, that would be quite a feat. Would love to see them. I heard a rumour at the weekend that, in years long gone by, the masts of tall ships on the Humber could be seen from Grenoside.

Sounds like it might have been a possibility if the masts were very tall.

Absolutely spectacular views to the East and to the South across Sheffield from the top of Holly House Lane at Grenoside. Walk to the top of the lane and look back for the East view, or climb over the gate/stile on the right and walk about 30 yards for the South view. Also you can see the Stanedge pole to the North West.

Edited by satman2222

Can't quite remember exactly where the Humber Bridge is in relation to our skyline but have seen it many times: you can see the two masts poking up above the horizon, and on a good day you can see the tops of the cables. Visible with binoculars and also without (masts only) if you have sharp eyes.

Yes me too seen the Humber bridge many times i think it says on the viewing table the bridge is 51 miles away

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!

Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!

This is an astonishing view! Something like 50 miles telephotoed to nothing. are yousure it might not be Wakefield Cathedral; that also has similar towers and shape?

No power station between sheff n wakefield, so not wakefield.

Wakefield Cathedral has a spire!

Selby Abbey has mini spires on each corner of the main tower.

Looking at the pictures you can also see Moors behind (which must be N York Moors) you wouldn't if it were Selby or Wakefield.