See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

That would have to be a very good day. It's a relatively thin structure and is over 70 miles away. No, I'd be very surprised if I ever saw that, even though in good weather I can watch BBC North East and ITV Tyne Tees from it.

There was a very, very clear evening in late June last year. I went up to Ringinglow and was blown away, I honestly don't think I will ever see it any better than that. You could see for miles and miles, it was incredible. It was just a pity there was only about 2 hours of daylight left, otherwise I would happily have spent all day up there. Right in the distance I could see a large hill range which I have never seen from there before. I wasn't sure if it was the Yorkshire Wolds or the North York Moors. Either way they were some distance off.

Edited by Colin Foster

I've seen the same hills too, I think it is the edge if the NYM, I'll have to check google earth again.

The aircraft warning lights certainly make spotting the towers easier at night! I can often pick up Bilsdale too, incredible really as am only 70m above sea level at Ecclesfield, no line of site, wrong aerial group, pointing the wrong way!

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 03:44 ----------

I had a look at Google Earth and some old pictures of mine, and you can see both range of hills, depending on your bearing. From my vantage point at Woodhead road, Grenoside (about 300m asl), looking towards Drax and Eggborough, the hills behind are the wolds:

egg-1

Can only just be made out on this hazy day. Looking towards Ferrybridge, the hills behind are the NYM (as seen through the cooling towers):

ferry-1

On this pic, if you zoom in, you can make out the Minster bell tower just to the left of the towers:

ride-6

Thorpe Marsh looking out towards Hull. You can clearly see the hills behind, I think Humber Bridge is lost amongst the wind turbines in the foreground:

thorpemarsh

And West Burton. Not good enough to see Lincoln on this day:

burton-1

I do like the picture of Thorpe Marsh, the Humber bridge is to the right on your photograph. I am pretty sure you have got hill plantation near Burton Upon Stather in the middle of your photograph.

Think I might have to get back up on a cold day and take some more! These were mostly on a summer bike ride, so was a lot of heat haze. I wonder if possible to pick anything out at Hull?

I will have another look possibly on Saturday weather permitting to try and see Lincoln Cathedral. I spotted Scunthorpe steel works last week which is above Sheffield tallest building St Paul's Tower.

Just a thought. Aren't there any mapping tools that allow you to create a section through the sightline between 2 points to show the topography between, where you are viewing from and what you are hoping to see. I've used such as Gmaps pedometer in the past to create cycle routes and it gives you all the ups and downs of your route. You can also input straight line routes which would be the sightline. It would then show you whether or not the land between rises enough to block out the view. There may be other software which would include for the curvature of the earth.

Does anyone know if there is any suitable software available?

There is a direction sign at top of Fulwood lane, it says Lincoln cathedral is on 43 miles. In these pictures which took last Saturday with a little help using my binoculars you will see the Humber Bridge taken from Fulwood Lane, and Keadby power station taken from top of Houndkirk road. Also from Houndkirk Road Scunthorpe steel works is spotted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131626405@N08/

Edited by cornwall1039

I've never managed to see the Humber Bridge yet, even when it was really clear. That's me not knowing where exactly to look though, I'm sure it can be seen. Lincoln Cathedral I think is fairly easy to spot, it's on a ridge if I remember rightly and York Minster is almost directly behind Ferrybridge.

Some great pics there, will have to take my binoculars up. My photos were taken with an old Fuji s1500 with 10x zoom lenses.

This is a great little tool for calculating line of sight, and shows terrain profiles corrected for curvature:

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/terrain.html

Edited by supersonic

I went to Ringinglow yesterday as it was a clear day, sadly the sun has a bit more power in it now so its getting a little bit more hazy. When I went I couldn't see as far compared to when I have been in all the snow and a couple of weeks back.

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has been up here recently to take in the view?

I haven't unfortunately but i'm going to take my other half to see it as soon as we get chance.

Last Sunday evening it was very clear in the East and I could see the Belmont transmitter and that's nearly 60 miles away. You could see well into Lincolnshire.