See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Was pretty clear today, I managed to get a hazy picture of the White Horse at Kilburn:

horse-2

I could see the Bilsdale transmitter too, but too faint to image. Still, 54 and 64 miles respectively!

Could see York Minster well too in the sun:

minster240516p

Wow - brilliant stuff. Nice one

This is awesome... I'm totally going to have to get up there with my camera and tripod...

How accessible is this? I have to walk with a crutch now, but can still manage reasonable terrain...

Travel out of the city to Ringinglow, turn right past the Roundhouse. The road dips and turns to the right, then rises to where the stone plinth is on your right. Park sensibly on the road side, should be able with crutches to walk across the grass to the plinth.

Thank you for the kind comments! I've only got very basic viewing equipment (10 x 50 binocs, and as my tripod broke I had to balance them on my bike and take the photos through an eyepiece with my phone!). Woodhead Road just north of Grenoside offers a fantastic view from north to east:

viewmap

Also from today a fuzzy Humber bridge:

Humber bridge

The power station is Ferrybridge, and the white buildings beyond are the Designer outlet at Fulford, York:

Designer outlet, York

From today too, Lincoln Cathedral (centre, can make out the main tower, but the other two smaller ones appear merged):

Lincoln Cathedral

And Emley Moor and I believe on the horizon Buckden Pike and Great Whernside in the Dales:

whernside

You need luck with the light, atmospherics and contrast, but I am sure with better equipment you could get much clearer than this. But you need to know where to look ;-).

Edited by supersonic

I don't think its about the picture quality, more the "wow" factor of being able to see so far.

I was just wondering if anyone has been up here recently?

I went late last summer, but the weather conditions were poor and it was quite hazy.

Why not visit Cottam Power Station in Lincolnshire and see if you can see Ringinglow from there? It's a far better view than the other way round!

Guest makapaka
I don't think its about the picture quality, more the "wow" factor of being able to see so far.

I worked at ferrybridge and on a Friday night used to call in the sportsman at redmires in the summer for a pint on way home.

Always amazed me how id driven 30-40 miles for best part of an hour and then could sit looking at work from round the corner from home!

the hills of Sheffield help us to have great views across the city from the outskirts.

Roger Daltrey could see for miles and mlies and miles. If i remember rightly.

Why not visit Cottam Power Station in Lincolnshire and see if you can see Ringinglow from there? It's a far better view than the other way round!

That sounds a lovely day out! :hihi:

Anyone been up lately? New to this forum but been interested in this subject for a while! Read claims that Lincoln Cathedral can be seen from top of Crich stand which is relatively close to me was wondering if anyone else heard that? I want to go up to this view point at Ringinglow when I have some spare time. Sorry to revive an old thread 

I’m glad you’ve revived this old thread I’m just hoping more pictures are uploaded.