Jump to content


See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Recommended Posts

Not local...

A while back camping at a farm site above Colwyn Bay, maybe 500ft ish.

 

Day of exceptional clarity and could plainly see a large island what looked like 20 miles away.

Turns out it was the Isle of Man much much further away.

The farmer said he had only ever seen it a couple if times ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, supersonic said:

North Yorkshire Moors, about 65 miles away.

Ah right I did wonder if it was the NYM, amazing how far away you can see from a high vantage point.

Near me several of the Shropshire hills (the Wrekin, Long Mynd, Clee Hills etc) can be seen on any clear day.

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Edited by LW950

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LW950 said:

 

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Ah, interesting you should say that! I think the top of the chimney is from some spots in Sheffield, the line of sight adds up so just need to drag the camera out on a clear day :)

 

FYI, I use a Sony DSC400 with 63x optical zoom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could imagine from  Owler Bar ,Radcliffe might be seen.

Would the relative high ground by Woodall Spa services would block view from Greno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Ah, interesting you should say that! I think the top of the chimney is from some spots in Sheffield, the line of sight adds up so just need to drag the camera out on a clear day :)

 

FYI, I use a Sony DSC400 with 63x optical zoom.

Yeah there isn’t many obstructions to block the chimney from view I would’ve thought. Ah yeah I was wondering what camera you used for the photos as I am thinking of investing in one for these kind of photos.

I currently take mine using my smartphone held against the eye piece of my 10x50 binoculars - surprisingly it works well.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

I could imagine from  Owler Bar ,Radcliffe might be seen.

Would the relative high ground by Woodall Spa services would block view from Greno

Yeah would’ve thought it’s possible from Owler Bar on a nice day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I see through my binoculars - also 10x50 - always looks better with my eye than the camera with the big zoom. I've got good results just shooting with a phone through the binocs the same way you do. 

 

I would however like the Nikon P1000 with the insane 120x optical.

 

It's a bit of an unusual hobby lol, all started years ago when a friend mentioned you can see the Minster from Sheffield. And nobody else believed you could: there are old tales of it, so I thought it needs to be photo'd. And I realised you can see even further, so slowly picking off distant targets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, supersonic said:

What I see through my binoculars - also 10x50 - always looks better with my eye than the camera with the big zoom. I've got good results just shooting with a phone through the binocs the same way you do. 

 

I would however like the Nikon P1000 with the insane 120x optical.

 

It's a bit of an unusual hobby lol, all started years ago when a friend mentioned you can see the Minster from Sheffield. And nobody else believed you could: there are old tales of it, so I thought it needs to be photo'd. And I realised you can see even further, so slowly picking off distant targets!

Similar to the way I got into the hobby as well.. always been interested in what you could see from long distances as you could see many power stations on the Trent from around here in Derbyshire. Eventually heard the rumour Lincoln Cathedral could be seen from the top of Crich Stand and this led me reading about it and eventually discovering this forum and learning about what you can see from Sheffield and I’ve been interested ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see South Wales from here, Hinkley Point C, Steepholme, Flatholme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.