Lunatic on M1 this morning

That's how it came up in first place, someone said we should slow down and save fuel and money. It doesn't,except in test track unrealistic conditions.

Top Gear did a Toyota Prius and a BMW M3 test. The Prius driving flat out and the M3 keeping up.

17mpg for the Prius and 19mpg for the M3.

The conclusion being that its the way cars are driven dictates the fuel economy. Still I doubt if the Beemer does anything higher than 25mpg.

If you expand the 'appropriate' theory, we see red light jumpers who think its appropriate just to nip though. The drink driver who thought it was appropriate to have the extra drink.

After all why do they do it?

No, just because they think it's appropriate obviously doesn't mean it is as there are other factors which clearly make it inappropriate there. What the driving lobby say is that speed limits are arbitrary and that sometimes it is safe to go faster than the limit and others it is dangerous to drive at the limit. However if one goes faster than the limit even though it's safe, one risks being prosecuted for breaking the law but that doesn't always mean it was actually dangerous, just illegal and that is the difference and the cause of much argument and debate.

That's how it came up in first place, someone said we should slow down and save fuel and money. It doesn't,except in test track unrealistic conditions.

I think it does - you'll get more mpg by slowing down a bit. Some other posters disagreed with the principle that the most efficient speed is rather lower than this magical 56mph.

Top Gear did a Toyota Prius and a BMW M3 test. The Prius driving flat out and the M3 keeping up.

17mpg for the Prius and 19mpg for the M3.

The conclusion being that its the way cars are driven dictates the fuel economy. Still I doubt if the Beemer does anything higher than 25mpg.

They were being very mischievous there though because the crappy Prius was being thrashed mercilessly and so it was running on it's weedy little petrol engine. Didn't prove anything other than what we already knew, the Prius is s****.

I think it does - you'll get more mpg by slowing down a bit. Some other posters disagreed with the principle that the most efficient speed is rather lower than this magical 56mph.
Well anyway I'm not going to drive slower because the difference is negligible and driving slowly is boring and dangerous.

Well anyway I'm not going to drive slower because the difference is negligible and driving slowly is boring and dangerous.

No, inappropriate slow speed is dangerous.

It works both ways :P:)

Think i'd rather be bored and alive.

If you want to speed get out of your tin can and get a motorbike, then go and kill yourself on a track.

Anyone can press a pedal and make a vehicle go faster, it doesn't make you invicible or even vaguely interesting.

Think i'd rather be bored and alive.

If you want to speed get out of your tin can and get a motorbike, then go and kill yourself on a track.

Anyone can press a pedal and make a vehicle go faster, it doesn't make you invicible or even vaguely interesting.

That's just stupid, sorry.

That's just stupid, sorry.

Not stupid. Just true.

Not stupid. Just true.
No it isn't.

No, just because they think it's appropriate obviously doesn't mean it is as there are other factors which clearly make it inappropriate there. What the driving lobby say is that speed limits are arbitrary and that sometimes it is safe to go faster than the limit and others it is dangerous to drive at the limit. However if one goes faster than the limit even though it's safe, one risks being prosecuted for breaking the law but that doesn't always mean it was actually dangerous, just illegal and that is the difference and the cause of much argument and debate.

Exactly my point, for example and bear with me. Driving on a motorway at 65 in thick fog is dangerous. Its been proved many a time, with multiple pile ups. My argument is that at some point a driver or two in that fog thought that 65 was safe and appropriate for the conditions. Not withstanding dangerous driving laws.

Surely though upper limits have to be set for perfect conditions, arbitrary or not? After all one man's appropriate is another man's 'Lunatic on the M1'.

They were being very mischievous there though because the crappy Prius was being thrashed mercilessly and so it was running on it's weedy little petrol engine. Didn't prove anything other than what we already knew, the Prius is s****.

it proved something else that most already knew too. that being the "tests" top gear does are mostly marketting PR, Clarksons personal opinion or fatuous in some other way